Like the true northeasterner I am, I have a deep love for all four seasons and while not ready to throw in the towel, it’s true that summer is winding down.
Of course, never one to let an excuse for a good party pass me by, we won’t say goodbye to summer without one last summer picnic!
(If you know me and you’re reading this, you know in reality we will be having many more parties before this season is done, but I digress.)
If you’re hosting a Labor Day picnic or planning one last backyard bash, consider these delicious and easy recipes!
- Beet Hummus Recipe
- If you are lucky enough to have a garden or a farmer’s market overflowing with fresh beets, you have to make this beet hummus recipe before summer is over! Roasting the beets along with garlic gives this hummus amazing flavor and the texture ends up surprisingly creamy. Even if you think you don’t like beets, trust me and give this one a try. I think you’ll find yourself surprised!
- Banana Sheet Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting Recipe
- I love a simple dessert for a picnic and this banana sheet cake with peanut butter frosting checks all of the boxes. Sheet cakes are amazing because they’re so easy to make – you don’t have to know how to stack layers or make fancy swirls of frosting. Plus the banana and peanut butter is a classic flavor combination that is perfect for celebrating the tail end of summer.
- Zucchini and Hummus Pita Sandwiches Recipe
- Sometimes the best way to host a picnic is by serving sandwiches that are easy to make yet totally wow your friends. Enter these zucchini and hummus pita sandwiches! They’re loaded with vegetables and ready in just 30 minutes, pairing grilled veggies with creamy hummus, tangy feta cheese and spinach.
- Grilled Caprese Avocado Chicken Recipe
- Kick your basic grilled chicken up a notch for one last summer bash with this grilled caprese avocado chicken recipe. Drizzled with a balsamic reduction, this is an easy recipe that is perfect for your next patio party! There’s tomato, fresh mozzarella, and fresh basil leaves, all layered with juicy grilled chicken and then everything is topped with balsamic. What’s not to love?!
- Italian Sausage Stuffed Zucchini Boats Recipe
- I’m still making the most of the late summer zucchini harvest and these Italian sausage zucchini boats aren’t one to skip! With a fresh tomato sauce and savory sausage over farm fresh zucchini, all sprinkled with a little cheese on top, everyone will be begging for seconds. This stuffed zucchini makes a great side to a summer picnic menu, but it also makes a great main dish!
- Grilled Herb Hummus Chicken Kebabs Recipe
- These grilled herb chicken kebabs are marinated in a wonderfully delicious hummus marinade made with lots of lemon juice, parsley, mint and extra tahini. It’s tangy, zesty and fresh, and adds so much flavor to the grilled chicken. Serve your kebabs with all your favorite sides or pair them simply with herbed rice all drizzled with extra marinade.
- Broiled Eggplant Sandwich Recipe
- Eggplant is another summer star and these broiled eggplant sandwiches are another surprisingly easy option for a late summer picnic. These sandwiches are packed full of flavorful vegetables and smothered with a lemony avocado mash. Add crunchy cucumbers, crisp lettuce, a handful of fresh basil and a few slices of red onion. They add loads of texture and flavor making each bite crispy, creamy, crunchy, and bright.
- Thai Mango Avocado Salad with Grilled Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- This Thai mango avocado salad with grilled sweet potatoes is a refreshing, flavorful salad that makes a delicious addition to a late summer picnic menu – it pairs perfectly with all your grilled favorites. Juicy bursts of mango with smooth and creamy avocado, fresh cucumber and mint, and smoky sweet potato are all topped with a tangy lime juice and fish sauce combo that seals the deal.
- Miso Glazed Burger Recipe
- No summer picnic is complete without a good burger! These miso glazed burgers are truly special and worthy of one final summer patio dinner. These spicy burgers are smothered in a rich miso glaze that brings out all the savory beef flavors and then topped with Asian cucumber pickles. Your friends won’t know what hit them but they’ll definitely be asking for seconds.