Foodies everywhere are panic-buying avocados in light of an impending avocado shortage following a temporary ban placed on avocados imported from Mexico by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
While the last couple of years have brought no shortage of shortages, this is a new one and avocado lovers are not taking it lightly.
Guac already costs extra – and now we might not be able to eat our beloved avocado toast? An entire generation of Millennials is highly unimpressed.
The ban, and therefore the looming shortage, is widely considered to be temporary, but that doesn’t make us any less anxious.
How do you deal with the avocado shortage of 2022? Eat all the avocados before they’re gone, naturally.
To help you use up all those avocados you’re obviously hoarding, here are 11 of our very best avocado recipes. Make them while the making is good!
- Loaded Guacamole Recipe
- Let’s cut right to the chase. Our loaded guacamole recipe is arguably the very best way to have one last avocado hoorah before they’re gone. Studded with crispy bacon, fresh jalapeños, tomatoes, lime wedges and crumbled queso fresco, this stuff is the real deal.
- Jerk Chicken Mango Avocado Sliders Recipe
- Sure, technically you could make these jerk chicken sliders without the avocado, but why would you want to? Shredded jerk chicken is made easily in the Instant Pot, then piled high on toasted Hawaiian buns with mango salsa and avocado. It’s a trip to the tropics without leaving home!
- Mexican Sweet Potato Fries Recipe
- You only need three ingredients to make these amazing Mexican sweet potato fries, but honestly it’s the avocado dipping sauce made with peppers, cilantro and lime juice that is the real star of the show. Spoiler alert! This stuff also makes an incredible salad dressing. Try it now and thank us later.
- Grilled Open-Faced Avocado Caprese Sammies Recipe
- Grilled bread topped with bright cherry tomatoes, little balls of cheese, fresh basil, avocado, and a simple balsamic glaze somehow magically presents like avocado toast and a caprese salad all at once. Eat it as a snack, a light lunch or even a savory breakfast anytime between now and when the avocados disappear from the grocery store and you won’t be disappointed.
- Instant Pot Crispy Carnitas Tostadas Recipe
- Our Instant Pot crispy carnitas tostadas are an avocado’s best friend. We’re talking crispy, crunchy fried tortillas topped with savory pork, red onion, avocado, cheese and hot sauce. We love them as a tasty dinner, but they also make a great party appetizer.
- Chipotle Flank Steak with Avocado Salsa Recipe
- Honestly, dishes like these are the reason avocados even exist. Our grilled chipotle lime flank steak with creamy avocado salsa is a spicy, bright, and tangy take on your favorite grilled meat. The spicy, savory flavors of the steak paired with the bright, tangy salsa are ideal for eating on their own or even in tacos.
- Smoked Salmon Avocado Cream Cheese Pastries Recipe
- Have we mentioned that we’re avocado fanatics around here? Homemade avocado cream cheese combined with smoked salmon, fresh herbs, and capers makes for the ideal appetizer. We love serving these avocado cream cheese pastries for brunch, but they’re also lovely for holiday celebrations all year long.
- Guacamole Wontons Recipe
- We tell few lies so trust us when we declare these guacamole wontons a certified hit. Crispy, golden wonton wrappers encase creamy avocado for an appetizer that is out of this world. Perfect for game day, yes, but also brilliant on any given weekend afternoon regardless of the sports season.
- Cheesy Avocado Egg in a Hole Recipe
- Make the most of your avocado stash with our favorite breakfast – cheesy avocado egg in a hole! With ham, cheese, avocado, and a perfectly runny egg, all you need is a mug of coffee to start your day off right.
- Cilantro Tomato Avocado Salad Recipe
- Fresh tomato, avocado and cilantro all swimming in a lime dressing topped with crumbled queso fresco makes for a bright, fresh salad that can easily stand alongside dinner or on it’s own as an entire meal. If we’re making decisions about how to use the last of our avocado stash, this one is a contender.
- Spicy Chocolate Avocado Tart Recipe
- As long as we’re going for it, let’s go big or go home while we wait for the avocado embargo to lift. This spicy chocolate avocado tart is a vegan-friendly dessert that’s rich and tasty. With a creamy chocolate avocado filling and an easy crust, the combination of flavors and textures will blow you away.