I firmly believe the old adage “life is short, eat dessert first.” Ok, even if you don’t eat dessert before dinner, you should at least indulge every now and then after your meal. I adore sweet treats in all forms, but my favorite dessert is most definitely ice cream. Cold, smooth, creamy and filled with any array of amazing mix-ins, ice cream is a treat everyone can enjoy.
I love making frosty homemade treats for family and friends. When I make my mint chocolate chip ice cream waffle sandwiches, they are always a huge hit. This creamy homemade mint ice cream with chips of dark chocolate churned throughout is sandwiched between two toasty waffles. What’s not to love about that?
These are definitely my personal favorite. I love the flavors going on in those ice cream sandwiches, but one of my favorite things about this particular ice cream is that it’s handheld. No bowl or spoon required.
But now I have a feeling my favorite frosty treat may be temporarily dethroned thanks to these banana split tacos. Tacos, people, in dessert form! That whole “eat dessert first” thing? Yup, you’re not going to want to wait until after dinner for these. Flour tortillas are fried, then dusted with a mixture of cinnamon, sugar and a touch of cardamom. I could eat these sweet, fragrant, crispy taco shells all by themselves.
But do try to keep yourself from devouring the shells alone because adding banana slices, vanilla, strawberry and chocolate ice cream makes them even more tasty. Top these tasty tacos off with fluffy clouds of whipped cream, a drizzle of chocolate sauce, rainbow sprinkles and a cherry, of course! These cool, crispy dessert tacos are definitely my new favorite handheld frozen treat and I know they’ll be yours too.
Dessert tacos may be the best idea Kate has ever had! Switch up your fillings; try Kate’s raspberry cacao nib paleo ice cream, or Ashton’s Ben & Jerry’s copycat peanut butter cup ice cream instead.
It’s Taco Week on Food Fanatic sponsored by KitchenIQ. Follow along, make your own, and make sure to share them with us on Twitter and Facebook using #TacoWeek.
Banana Split Tacos Recipe
- 48 Peanut Oil Or canola oil
- 4 Flour Tortilla
- 2 Chicago Old Town Premium Spice Sugar Or a mixture of equal parts cinnamon, granulated sugar and cardamom
- 2 Banana split lengthwise
- 1 Strawberry Ice Cream
- 1 Chocolate Ice Cream
- 1 Vanilla Ice Cream
- Whipped Cream
- Maraschino Cherries
- Chocolate Sauce
- In a large, deep skillet bring oil to 350°F.
- Dip half of one tortilla into the hot oil and cook until golden brown. Dip the second half of the tortilla into the oil, curving the tortilla into a traditional taco shell shape and cook until golden brown.
- Remove from oil and place on a paper towel-lined plate. Immediately sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture. Repeat with remaining tortillas and allow them to cool completely.
- Lay a banana slice into each of the 4 tacos.
- Fill each cooled taco shell with one scoop strawberry ice cream, one scoop chocolate ice cream and one scoop vanilla ice cream.
- Top with whipped cream, cherries, sprinkles and chocolate sauce. Enjoy immediately!