Tortillas that are filled with bananas and caramel sauce for a quick, simple version of a Bananas Foster dessert!
I know lots of people have hang-ups when it comes to the texture of their food. My son cannot stomach cooked tomatoes; they feel slimy to him. My niece couldn’t eat broccoli for a long time because of its texture. My daughter can’t stand cheese because of its soft nature. While I do not share these issues, I understand them.
I never thought of myself as having textural issues with my food until recently. I often have bananas for breakfast, but I began to notice a trend. I would eat three-quarters of the banana and then be done. I realized for the first time that after eating just over half the banana I cannot stand how it feels in my mouth.
I physically cannot handle the texture of a banana after about six to eight bites. How weird am I? I love bananas, but I just prefer them in baked goods like bread or pie. Eating them au natural makes me feel like I’m eating paste.
One way around my banana aversion is to cook them in a sweet caramel sauce just until they soft and tender. This is actually what I did in these simple Banana Fosters quesadillas.
This quesadilla is a pleasant change from your traditional savory quesadillas. The tortillas crisp up as the cook, but the bananas stay warm and soft inside. I drizzled on a little more caramel sauce just before serving and topped them with whipped cream!
It probably goes without saying that this now my favorite way to eat bananas. I don’t. I could eat these Bananas Foster quesadillas for dessert, and I could eat them for lunch. Truth be told, I’m a step away from eating these for breakfast too!
Bananas Foster Quesadilla Recipe
- 2 8-Inch Flour Tortilla
- 2 Butter
- 0.25 Brown Sugar
- 1 Rum Extract
- 2 Banana Sliced
- Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add in brown sugar and stir.
- Cook mixture for 2-3 minutes or until thick, stir in extract and sliced bananas.
- Cook for an additional 2 minutes or just until bananas are soft.
- Spray a large skillet with cooking spray, over medium high heat.
- Add one tortilla and heat for 1 minute or until underside has begun to turn golden brown.
- Add half of the banana mixture to one half of the tortilla.
- Fold tortilla over and heat quesadilla for 1 minute.
- Turn quesadilla over and cook second side for another minute. Remove quesadilla and repeat with remaining tortilla and banana mixture.
- Cut each quesadilla in half and top with whipped cream and drizzle with any remaining caramel syrup.