I started making grilled pizzas several years ago and it’s still, hands down, my very favorite way to make homemade pizza at home any time of the year.
Making pizza on the grill results in a crisp crust with a slightly smokey flavor that is not unlike pizza made in a brick oven – only you don’t need a special oven!
This barbecue chicken grilled pizza is a crowd favorite! Loaded with savory shredded chicken, crisp summer corn and veggies, you need to give it a try.
Why This Is the Best Barbecue Chicken Grilled Pizza Recipe
If you love pizza, if you love barbecue chicken or you love corn on the cob, you will absolutely this grilled pizza recipe. It packs major flavor and texture.
While you could make it in the oven (and absolutely should if you don’t have access to a grill) learning how to grill pizza will be a total game changer.
I love that the toppings are pretty simple to prepare. Grill up your chicken (or use rotisserie or leftover chicken) and slice a few veggies – that’s about it!
You can easily use your favorite store bought pizza dough to keep things as easy as you’d like – or check out our tips for how to make pizza dough.
A layer of barbecue sauce, a few handfuls of a few different cheeses for lots of extra flavor and you’ve basically got this one nailed. Easy and delicious!
Plus, as with all of my very favorite recipes, this grilled pizza recipe is so easy to customize to add in or swap out your favorite pizza toppings.
Barbecue Chicken Grilled Pizza Recipe
To make this crowd pleasing grilled pizza recipe, you will need:
- Pizza dough – Grab a bag of refrigerated pizza dough at the grocery store and make your life super simple! Or try our pizza dough recipe.
- Chicken – You’ll want cooked chicken breast that has been shredded to make this pizza. Cook it on the grill first, grab a rotisserie chicken or use leftover chicken from dinner the night before.
- Cheese – I like to use a blend of cheeses for this particular grilled pizza. Shredded mozzarella, shredded sharp cheddar and feta cheese pack a ton of flavor into this pizza recipe.
- Barbecue sauce – Because barbeuce sauce is used in lieu of traditional pizza sauce, buy the good stuff or even consider making it homemade.
- Corn – I like to grill a few ears of corn and then cut the kernels off of it to mkae this pizza, but frozen corn will also get the job done.
- Toppings – In addition to the chicken, cheese and corn you’ll also want thinly sliced red onions and thinly sliced bell peppers for your pizza.
- Garnishes – Finish everything off with thinly sliced scallions along with a drizzle of extra barbecue sauce as well as ranch.
- Gas or charcoal grill
- Knife + cutting board
Step 1. Add shredded chicken and barbecue sauce to a bowl.
Step 2. Toss the chicken in the sauce until evenly, thoroughly coated.
Step 3. Roll out dough and transfer to a hot grill to parbake before topping.
Step 4. Carefully remove the parbaked crust from the grill to finish.
Step 5. Cook over high heat until the crust is crispy and cheese is melted.
Tips for Making Grilled Pizza
Be sure to keep the lid of the grill closed as much as possible. Doing so allows the temperature inside the grill to increase, more closely mimicking an oven.
The result will be a taste sensation of a pizza with a crust that is crispy on the bottom. It’s shockingly similar to brick oven pizza. I said what I said.
According to my taste tester and next door neighbor, this pizza is one of the top five best pizzas he’s ever tasted in his life. He said what he said.
The Best Pizza Recipes
Here’s the thing. While I talk this pizza up, we’re general pizza enthusiasts around here – in fact, our taco pizza recipe is one of our most popular recipes!
This Buffalo chicken pizza recipe is topped in, you guessed it, big chunks of Buffalo chicken – the best part is the blue cheese avocado dressing drizzle!
One of my personal favorites, this Tex Mex pizza recipe, also uses corn for added flavor and texture – further proof that corn truly belongs on pizza!
Finally, this grilled lemon ricotta flatbread recipe is out of this world. I love ricotta as well as anything lemon so this one absolutely had me at hello.
Barbecue Chicken Grilled Pizza Recipe
- 1 Pizza Dough
- 1.5 Barbecue Sauce plus more for serving
- 1 Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Feta Cheese crumbled
- 2 Cooked Chicken Breast shredded
- 1 Thinly Sliced Red Onion
- 1 Bell Peppers thinly sliced
- 1.5 Corn
- 0.5 Thinly Sliced Scallions
- 0.25 Ranch Dressing plus more for serving
- Preheat grill on high heat. Close the lid to allow the grill to heat up like an oven.
- Roll out pizza dough to desired shape and thickness.
- Lighlty spray grill rack with olive oil then transfer prepared dough to the grill. Close the lid and bake for 4 to 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, add shredded chicken and 1 cup of barbecue sauce to a mixing bowl. Toss well to combine.
- Remove the parbaked dough from the grill. Allow it to cool slightly then spread the remaining barbecue sauce on top of the crust.
- Layer with the barbecue chicken, corn, peppers, red onions, mozzarella cheese, sharp cheddar cheese and feta.
- Return the pizza to the grill and bake for an additional 8 to 10 minutes on high heat until the crust is crispy and the cheese is melted.
- Carefully remove pizza from the grill and transfer to a cutting board.
- Drizzle with barbecue sauce and ranch dressing, and sprinkle with sliced scallions.
- Slice and serve.