As much as I love to cook and experiment with new recipes, many weeknights just require simple and quick dinners for the family. Over the past few months, I’ve noticed that we turn to some form of lettuce wrap at least once a week.
Lettuce wraps make a great weeknight family dinner because they are so flexible to the ingredients you have on hand. They are also easily deconstructed for picky kids, which makes them a dinner winner at our house.
These Black Bean Wraps are packed with flavor and nutrition, and while you could easily add ground beef or shredded chicken, they really do make a hearty meal for a meatless Monday menu. The cashew cream can easily be replaced by plain yogurt or sour cream, but I think it adds a little something special to the wraps. It is tangy, and nutty, and creamy without any dairy, and adds a unique flavor that makes these lettuce wraps stand out. They pull together quickly, but they look and taste just a little bit fancy, which is always a big plus for me at the family table.
This is one recipe that I’m always urging friends to try. It’s a recipe I feel confident saying you will enjoy because it’s so easy to make and so easy to adapt to your family’s tastes and to whatever you happen to have in the fridge when you set out to make a last minute weeknight dinner.
If you keep leftover cooked rice and quinoa, or other grains, on hand in the fridge, this recipe really can come together in a matter of minutes. However, even if you are starting from scratch and need to cook a batch of grains, dinner can still be on the table in about 30 minutes.
Black Bean Wraps Recipe
- 1 Cashew Nuts raw and unsalted
- Lemon Juice from one small lemon
- 1 Apple Cider Vinegar
- 5 Boiling Water
- 1 Cooked White Rice brown rice, or wild rice
- 1 Quinoa cooked
- 1 Black Beans cooked
- 1 Cumin
- 0.25 Chipotle Chili Powder
- 1 Honey
- 1 Olive Oil
- Fresh Lime Juice from 1/2 lime
- 0.25 Fresh Cilantro chopped
- 2 Green Onions diced
- 1 Red Bell Pepper cored and diced
- 1 Romaine Lettuce or other lettuce suitable for wraps
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine cashews, lemon juice, and apple cider vinegar.
- Pulse until combined.
- Add the water 1 tablespoon at a time, pulsing until mixture is creamy and as thick or thin as desired.
- Refrigerate until ready for use.
- Combine all of the ingredients, excepting the lettuce leaves, in a large bowl.
- Toss gently to distribute the oils and spices evenly. Taste to adjust seasonings.
- Spoon mixture into lettuce leaves and top with cashew cream.