I only have a few really simple and fun appetizers in my back pocket and this is one of them. I might be a little OCD in my need to be prepared, but I swear, it’s limited specifically to food. What can I say? I’m one of those people who always likes to know where my next meal is coming from.
As the weather gets warmer and the parks become flooded with people, the impromptu picnics start revving up.
Generally with my friends, picnics are a last-minute thing, and it’s always a scramble to get everything together so you aren’t the last one to the park.
The last one there does have to treat everyone to a round of beer in our crew, so that’s the real motivation… You know, aside from stuffing our faces with delicious food. But I digress…
Picnics are the main reason I like to keep a few quick recipes that can be assembled in minutes in my back pocket. It’s a quick stop at the store, a little slicing and chopping, then presto! A fresh, healthy appetizer that’ll hold your crew over and also break up all the hamburgers and hot dogs we’re so used to devouring. These BLAT blue cheese crostini are just the ticket to a winning appetizer that your friends and family will happily snatch up while waiting for the main event.
There’s nothing like a little play on a childhood favorite meal to get even grown adults clamoring for a taste.
Plus you get to feel a little fancy at your picnic, and who doesn’t want to get in on some of that action?
BLAT Blue Cheese Crostini Recipe
- 1 French Baguette Cut into 1-inch thick slices
- 0.25 Lettuce Chopped
- 1 Avocado Thinly sliced
- Salt and Pepper
- 0.5 Quartered Cherry Tomatoes
- 5 Cooked Bacon Chopped
- 0.25 Crumbled Blue Cheese
- Place slices of French bread on a baking sheet in an even layer. Toast under the broiler set to low until golden brown. Flip the slices over and toast again until golden brown.
- To assemble the crostini, add a layer of lettuce to the slices of bread.
- Top with slices of avocado and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Finally, top with cherry tomatoes, bacon and blue cheese.