I’ve never been much of a candy bar-lover. As a kid, I usually opted for something chewy or gummy, like Skittles or Sour Patch Kids—but I’ve always totally loved Butterfingers. I mean, how can you not? No other bar can match the flakey, crispy peanut butter-y inside!
Okay, but wait, you guys, I think I found a way to make them better. We’re putting them in cookies, we’re putting them in frosting, and then were smashing it all together! It’s salty-sweet, texture heaven.
If you didn’t already know, cookie sandwiches are totally where it’s at (like these pumpkin toffee cookies with salted caramel cream cheese frosting, or these strawberries & cream cookie sandwiches). They’re like whoopie pies, but better. You get all the texture from a cookie (err, um well TWO cookies in this case…), but you also get the creamy filling.
For these particular little numbers, the frosting filling is an ultra creamy peanut butter buttercream, with Butterfinger crumbles stirred throughout. I’m warning you, it’s really hard not to just gobble this up by the spoonful.
The cookies are chewy, thanks to my secret ingredient cookie weapon—cornstarch, and have tons and tons of Butterfinger chunks inside, that melt all around and make everything 800x more amazing.
These Butterfinger cookie sandwiches are super simple to make, but I do recommend making them a day or two ahead of time. As weird as it sounds, they get better as they age. They’re still crazy tasty on the first day, but I happened to find them at peak deliciousness on the third day. The flavors have a chance to mellow together, the cookie texture is at its most delicious, and the frosting sets up.
Want more Butterfinger madness? Try our Butterfinger cupcakes and gluten free Butterfinger cake too!
Butterfinger Cookie Sandwiches Recipe
- 0.5 Unsalted Butter
- 0.75 Granulated Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1.75 All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Cornstarch
- 1 Baking Soda
- 1 Kosher Salt
- 16 Mini Butterfinger Roughly chopped
- 0.5 Unsalted Butter At room temperature
- 0.25 Creamy Peanut Butter
- 0.5 Confectioners Sugar
- 6 Mini Butterfinger Finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a couple baking sheets with silicone baking mats or parchment paper and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar for a couple minutes. Add in the egg and beat on high for 8 minutes, until fluffy and light. Add in the dry ingredients and beat on low until almost combined. Add in the Butterfingers on the lowest setting.
- Scoop the dough into roughly 1 and 1/2 tablespoon-sized mounds onto your prepared baking sheets, an inch or two apart (I like using a medium-sized cookie scoop).
- Bake for 10 minutes, until lightly golden. Allow them to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before removing to a wire rack to cool further.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment beat together the butter, salt, and peanut butter, until combined. Add in half of the confectioners’ sugar on low, stir to combine, then add the other half and mix to combine. Turn the speed up to high and beat for 10-15 minutes until fluffy and glossy. Stir in the chopped Butterfinger pieces.
- Scoop 1-2 tablespoon-sized mounds onto the bottom of one cookie, and top with another cookie (I used the same scoop I used to scoop the cookies for the frosting).