Fall just screams for caramel apple treats, doesn’t it?
Or maybe it does at my house because I always buy giant boxes of apples in the fall because they’re so good, and then I have more apples than I know what to do with.
So of course I bake with them.
When I’m not eating them that is, and maybe dipping them in some homemade salted caramel sauce.
Because that’s just plain amazing.
These caramel apple blondies are also pretty amazing though.
Soft and chewy blondies filled with apples and cinnamon with a layer of caramel baked into the middle – they really make the perfect fall dessert.
It isn’t often that I’ll choose blondies over brownies, I will admit, but these caramel apple blondies definitely give my favourite brownie a run for it’s money.
Blondies and brownies are actually very similar – they’re both soft and chewy bars – but the base of a blondie is brown sugar and vanilla instead of cocoa.
Basically, blondies are vanilla brownies rather then chocolate brownies. So adding cinnamon, apples, and salted caramel to the traditional blondie base needed to happen.
Those flavours just belong together.
If you’re craving a sweet treat, these caramel apple blondies won’t disappoint!
How to make Caramel Apple Blondies:
- Make sure to line your baking dish with parchment paper so you can easily lift out the blondies to cut them. If you don’t have any, spray your dish with non-stick cooking spray first. Let the blondies cool completely before cutting them into squares so they don’t fall apart on you.
- I used this homemade salted caramel sauce, but a store-bought caramel sauce will work just fine.
- Make sure not to over-mix the batter, or to over-bake the blondies. If you bake blondies for too long they will dry out and you won’t end up with a chewy bar – if you want soft and chewy blondies, bake just until they are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out with a few moist crumbs on it. Start with the lower baking time and bake longer only if it’s needed.
- Here are a few more amazing apple treats for you: Baked Apple Fritters, Apple Cinnamon Scones, and Apple Pumpkin Bread
Caramel Apple Blondies Recipe
- 0.5 Unsalted Butter melted
- 0.33 Granulated Sugar
- 0.5 Brown Sugar lightly packed
- 1 Egg
- 1 Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Salt
- 1 Cinnamon
- 1 Chopped Apples peeled and diced small (1 medium apple)
- 0.25 Salted Caramel Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare an 8×8 inch baking dish by lining it with parchment paper, allowing the paper to overhang the dish by a couple inches on each side so that the bars can be lifted out after baking.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter and the sugars until smooth. Add the egg and vanilla whisk together. Add the flour, salt and cinnamon and stir until just combined. Fold in the chopped apples.
- Pour the half of the batter into the prepared pan and spread it as evenly as possible – it will be thick. Drizzle the caramel sauce over top of the batter. Cover the caramel sauce with spoonfuls of the remaining batter, spreading it out as evenly as you can.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the blondies are golden brown, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with only damp crumbs on it, but no wet batter. Set the pan on a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cool, the bars can be lifted out of the pan using the parchment paper and cut into 16 squares. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.