What a glorious week! I thought taco week was spectacular, now a whole week devoted to cookies? Pretty amazing. Cookies are one of my favorite things to make because cookie dough comes together so quickly – which means I’m eating warm cookies, fresh from the oven – in no time. Cookies also rock because they almost always require only one bowl. Anytime I can get out of doing more dishes is alright by me.
Ease of time and little mess are two pluses but quite possibly the most wonderful thing about cookies is their versatility. Sure, you can whip up a classic batch of chocolate chip cookies, peanut butter cookies or oatmeal raisin. But you can stir just about anything your imagination conjures up into cookie dough and come away with deliciousness. This week I decided to revisit a cookie that I haven’t made in years – biscotti!
The last time I made these particular cookies it was the heart of summer so I decided to make lemon biscotti. Lemon is probably my all-time favorite summer flavor because it just feels so bright and wonderful to me in those hot summer months. Now we’ve come full circle and it’s mid-December, so I knew I wanted to make a cookie that was unmistakably “winter flavored.” These cardamom biscotti with cranberries and white chocolate definitely fit the bill.
Cranberries are one of my favorite winter fruits. They sit firmly in the top three, joined by pears and pomegranate. Here I’ve paired cranberries with biscotti that are brimming with the flavor of almond and spiced with fragrant cardamom. The smooth flavor of white chocolate chips blend so nicely with the tartness of the cranberries and spiciness of the cardamom. Twice baked, these irresistible cookies become crisp, perfect for dipping and enjoying with your afternoon coffee or tea.
Now, don’t forget to feast your eyes on all the other cookies that are coming after these biscotti for Food Fanatic’s Cookie Week and you’ll have no trouble at all filling your holiday cookie tray this year!
Cardamom Biscotti Recipe
- 2.5 All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Almond Meal
- 1.5 Granulated Sugar
- 4 Baking Powder
- 2 Cardamom
- 0.5 Salt
- 4 Egg
- 2 Pure Almond Extract
- 1 Pure Vanilla Extract
- 0.5 White Chocolate Chips
- 0.5 Dried Cranberries
- 1 Egg White
- 2 Sanding Sugar or turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, almond meal, sugar, baking powder, cardamom and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, vanilla extract and almond extract. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until combined. Fold in white chocolate chips and dried cranberries.
- Dust parchment paper lined baking sheets with flour. Divide dough into two pieces. Place a piece of dough on floured parchment and form into a rectangle measuring 9 inches long x 5 inches wide x 1 inch tall. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven. Brush tops of biscotti with egg white and sprinkle with sanding or turbinado sugar.
- Return to oven and bake 10 minutes longer.
- Remove from oven again. Cool on baking sheets for 10 minutes then, using a sharp knife cut into 3/4-inch slices.
- Arrange biscotti cut sides up in a single layer and return to oven. Bake 10 minutes, flip and bake 10 minutes longer.
- Remove from oven and cool completely. They will become more crisp as they cool.