One of my goals this year is to really take a hard look at some of the foods I am eating and make them a bit healthier. One of those foods is pizza.
Of course, just like many of us, pizza is one of my favorites, and a great meal for the whole family.
This past year, I saw many people talking about a cauliflower pizza crust. Now, I’ve seen Indian cauliflower pizza here on Food Fanatic, and I know the spices would help me accept the idea bit.
But I’ll admit my first thought in terms of a crust made from cauliflower was… gross. It just did not make sense that I could take cauliflower and make it into a pizza crust, and have it actually taste good?
Shortly after hearing about this crust, I made a crust out of spaghetti squash and it was fabulous, so I knew that there might by something to this cauliflower crust.
I decided to take the plunge and make this crust to see what my family thought. I was very skeptical, but to my surprise it was really good, plus HEALTHY!
I adapted a recipe to make this crust, and the original recipe suggest chopping the cauliflower in the food processor, then boiling it to make it soft.
Once I was done chopping the cauliflower, it was extremely moist and there was no need to boil it in water or steam it in the microwave. If you chop it and notice that it’s very hard then add a little bit of water to it and steam it in the microwave; however, most likely you will not need to do that because there will be a lot of moisture already in it.
Once I had my crust prepared, I topped it just like we would with any other pizza crust using pizza sauce, pepperoni, and cheese. It did taste different than flour-filled crust, but it was still really good.
Of course, my biggest critic and pickiest eater, my son, he says as soon as he takes a bite, “this taste like carrots.” He was pretty much done at that point because he hates veggies.
My husband and daughter though could not really tell the difference and they loved it.
I absolutely love that I can easily get veggies in with this crust. Have you tried cauliflower pizza crust yet?
Cauliflower Crust Pizza Recipe
- 0.5 Cauliflower
- 0.5 Italian Cheese Shredded
- 1 Dried Parsley
- 1 Egg
- 1 Garlic Crushed
- Pizza Sauce and Toppings of Choice
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Place cauliflower into a food processor and chop until fine. There will be a lot of moisture released from the cauliflower, so squeeze in paper towels to draw it away and make the cauliflower pieces as dry as possible.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cauliflower pieces, shredded Italian cheese, parsley, egg, and garlic.
- Spray a baking sheet or pizza stone with non-stick baking spray, then carefully pour out the mixture and press and shape into a round pizza crust.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, then remove and add sauce and toppings of your choice.
- Return to the oven and bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese melts.