This is the perfect dinner recipe to use up leftover ham. You could buy a ham steak expressly for this meal, but I find that the only time I really cook with ham is when I have leftover Easter (or other holiday) ham.
Typically I throw it in my Puerto Rican rice, or a pot of rice and beans for flavor, but neither of those dishes contain cheese. And I just love ham and cheese. Swiss, Havarti, cheddar or camembert…I love them all!
So one of my go-to meals is this cheesy ham dinner with broccoli and carrots. It’s one of those recipes that use up whatever you have in the fridge.
You can hide a bunch of vegetables in here that picky eaters won’t notice. Since it’s all mixed with a velvety cheddar cheese sauce, it tastes amazing!
The sauce is a snap to make from scratch — no processed food or fake cheese here! And to cut down on calories, I use half milk, half chicken stock. It still comes out creamy, cheesy and delicious.
As far as the cheese goes, I use sharp cheddar for maximum flavor. And I always freshly shred it myself. I’m a cheese purist.
I really think the cheese sauce is the star of this dish, which makes it easy to substitute other ingredients. Don’t have ham? Use cooked pork chops, chicken or go completely meatless!
Not a broccoli or carrot fan? Use cauliflower, peas, spinach or butternut squash. The options are endless!
Basically, use whatever vegetable you have on hand. I hate making a special trip to the grocery store to cook dinner. Hardboiled eggs are another fantastic addition.
The beauty of this recipe is that you can use fresh or frozen vegetables. If you use fresh vegetables, give them a quick steam before adding to the sauce.
We are huge rice eaters, so I like to serve this leftover ham over a bed of rice. Hubby likes to top his with hot sauce for some kick.
It’s also tasty with pasta (your favorite shape), or spooned over baked (or mashed) potatoes, toast or hot biscuits. Another way to use up the leftovers you have on hand!
Cheesy Ham Dinner Recipe
- 0.25 Butter
- 0.25 Chopped Onion
- 3 All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Milk
- 1 Chicken Stock
- 0.25 Garlic Powder
- 2 Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 2 Diced Cooked Ham
- 3 Broccoli Florets fresh or frozen
- 2 Sliced Carrots fresh or frozen
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Ground Cayenne Pepper optional
- Rice Pasta or Toast for serving
- In a large skillet, cook the butter and onion over low heat until butter has melted. Add the flour and stir until smooth. Cook until bubbly and flour is no longer raw, about 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the milk and chicken stock until there are no lumps remaining. Bring to a simmer, stirring frequently until sauce has thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cheese until melted.
- Add the ham, broccoli and carrots. Bring to a simmer, cover and cook for 5-7 minutes or until vegetables are softened. Season to taste with salt, pepper and a pinch of ground cayenne. Serve over cooked rice, pasta or toast.