Even though life gets very busy, I try very hard not to cave in to picking up some fast food on a regular basis. I do not deprive my family of a quick burger and some crispy fries as a treat, but that type of food is not seen on our table often.
When the going gets tough, I resort to purchasing a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. This chicken tortellini soup gets made the next day with the leftovers. It is a simple meal but very hearty and satisfying.
If I am purchasing a rotisserie chicken, I try to find the biggest one I can. Since I have a small family of four, there are usually leftovers, and these are perfect to stretch into another dinner. Soup is a favorite when there is a chill in the air, but some other meals I make on a regular basis are Thai chopped chicken salad , BBQ chicken flatbread and chicken bacon pasta.
My husband is not the biggest fan of soup. He likes food with a lot of substance. But this soup is filled with hearty tortellini, chicken and vegetables. I make it light on the broth so it is more like a stew than soup. You can add more broth if you like a thinner soup.
You can take a peek in my refrigerator and always see a few packages of fresh tortellini. They take minutes to cook and are easier to make than picking up a pizza. I used spinach tortellini in this recipe, but cheese, meat or mushroom tortellini are frequently found in my refrigerator. Tortellini bake is another meal that I make several times a month.
I love the convenience of picking up a cooked chicken at the grocery store. My family loves roasted chicken and I love the ease of making the next meal with the leftovers!
Chicken Tortellini Soup Recipe
- 32 Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 2 Carrot Peeled and chopped into bite size pieces
- 1 Celery Cleaned and finely chopped
- 1 Frozen Peas
- 2 Cooked Shredded Chicken
- 10 Tortellini Pasta Cheese or spinach (refrigerated)
- Salt and Pepper To taste
- Grated Parmesan Cheese For serving
- In a large saucepan, heat the chicken broth on medium high heat. Add the carrots, celery and peas. Bring the broth to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add the chicken and tortellini and cook until tender, about 4 minutes or according to tortellini package instructions. Stir occasionally.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with Parmesan cheese.