I’m always looking for new chocolate recipes, new ideas to bring to life. New takes on old recipes are one of my favorite ways to do this — I’m always trying to make a great recipe even better, to make it unforgettable.
Bringing together two of my favorite treats, buttery shortbread and fudgy brownies, is definitely an unforgettable combination. If by themselves they are addictive, think how heavenly they taste in one bite!
I have seen around Pinterest recipes for cookie dough brownies, and although lots of recipes have been bookmarked, none of them came to life. But when the slight idea of spreading some brownie batter on top of a buttery shortbread came to mind it was only a matter of time until I took it out of the oven.
These chocolate chip shortbread brownies are so easy to make and I’m pretty sure you have all ingredients on hand! You need flour, butter, sugar and chocolate chips for the shortbread, and flour, cocoa, sugar, butter and eggs for the brownies. See? I knew you had everything on hand!
And you know what? You can have these brownies done in just one hour! If that doesn’t help make any recipe better, I don’t know what else to say to convince you that you need to get these treats on your must-make list.
These use milk chocolate chips, but you could also use semisweet or dark chocolate chips. You could even try it with peanut butter chips or cinnamon chips. Yum!
These brownies are great for sharing. You only need a small square to be satisfied, so cut these into 16 even if you’re tempted to only cut into 9 pieces! It will be hard to share, but the bragging rights are worth it.
Check them out below and then consider this Cadbury Creme Egg Brownies Recipe.
Chocolate Chip Shortbread Brownie Recipe
- 1 All-Purpose Flour
- 0.25 Sugar
- 0.5 Butter cold, diced
- 0.5 Milk Chocolate Chips
- 0.75 All-Purpose Flour
- 1.5 Baking Powder
- 0.5 Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 Sugar
- 3 Egg
- 0.33 Butter
- Heat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8”x8” baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a food processor add the flour, sugar, butter and pulse until mixtures resembles coarse breadcrumbs, about 2 minutes. Take the shortbread dough out and knead in the chocolate chips. With your fingers, spread the dough evenly on the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Bake for 8 minutes – this only partially bakes the shortbread.
- While the shortbread is in the oven, make the brownie batter.
- In the same food processor place the flour, cocoa, baking powder and sugar. Pulse 2-3 times to combine. Add the eggs and melted butter and pulse again until a smooth batter is formed. If needed, clean the sides of the food processor bowl with a spatula.
- Pour the brownie batter over the shortbread crust and bake for further 35-40 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool before removing from the pan and slice into squares.