So let’s be honest. How do you really celebrate Valentine’s Day? Is it with candies, chocolates, flowers or a steak dinner?
I will tell you how I celebrate in just a minute but let me tell you a story first.
When I was a kid, my mother used to give all six of us kids a box of chocolates and a card for Valentine’s Day. It would be that little box that had about 8 pieces of chocolate in it.
This is one of my biggest memories I have from childhood. I would look forward to that box every single year.
And then one year, we didn’t get it. I think I was in high school.
My mom said she didn’t think we would want them anymore because we were getting older.
I was devastated. I was crushed. How could she not buy me a box of chocolates?
To make matters worse, my mother was not the type to tell us that she loved us very much.
She showed us, but she didn’t use her words often when we were growing up. Now it is a different story.
Anyways, I saw this box of chocolates as an expression of love from her and when it stopped I felt like she didn’t love me anymore. Sad, but true.
This is why in one way I am somewhat against Valentine’s Day. I want to leave my children with the impression that we love them every single day of the year.
That they are special every single day of the year.
I said I would get back to how we celebrate the day. Well, I do let the kids take Valentines to school for their class parties and we have on occasion eaten dinner by candle light, but other than that we just don’t make it a big deal.
And I do not buy them a box of chocolates!
I’d rather make them these Chocolate Covered Strawberry Tarts instead. They are fun, delicious and easier to make.
So, whether you make Valentine’s Day a big deal or not you should definitely try these tarts out. You will love them! ENJOY!
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Tarts Recipe
- 1 Puff Pastry thawed
- 10 Strawberry sliced
- 1 Whipping Cream
- 1 Swiss Miss Simply Cocoa Milk Chocolate Mix
- 0.5 Milk Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Allow puff pastry to come to room temperature, about 20 minutes. Unfold on floured surface. Lightly roll. Using heart cookie cutter, cut 9 hearts. Place on cookie sheet lined with silpat or parchment paper. Cut a line around the edge of puff pastry, 1 inch from the edge to make a border.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Using a flat spatula press down middle of pastry. Set aside add allow to completely cool.
- In mixer add whipping cream. Whip until medium peaks. Slowly add in cocoa mix. Continue to whip until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- Melt milk chocolate chips over double boiler until smooth. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- To assemble tarts, place sliced strawberries in hearts. Top with whipped cream.
- Garnish with milk chocolate, strawberries or powdered sugar.
- Can keep stored in refrigerator for up to 4 days. ENJOY!