This is the easiest recipe for chocolate mousse that you will find. Not only is it quick to prepare, and you only need a few ingredients, but it’s unbelievably rich and creamy.
For these photos, I spooned it into margarita glasses, and topped it with a single blackberry, and it made for a really pretty and simple dessert!
With a pile of berries on top, or a dollop of whipped topping, this makes for a really elegant dessert.
I think you could fill shot glasses or shooters with this mousse and a little whipped topping, and they would be fabulous mini-desserts for parties and entertaining! This quick recipe comes to the rescue and gives you a simple dessert in minutes.
But the original reason I made this chocolate mousse cake filling was to fill the center of dark chocolate cupcakes. And they were sublime.
Imagine sinking your teeth into a moist and rich chocolate cupcake, and you are met with this delectable fluffy and chocolate-y treat in the middle.
I actually haven’t shared the whole cupcake recipe yet, so you’ll have to stay tuned for the completed dessert, but chocolate lovers will not be disappointed!
To prepare this mousse, you only need one bowl, a handful of ingredients, and a microwave. It’s a cinch whip up!
I combined milk with semi-sweet chocolate, and heated them until the chocolate was melted and smooth, creating somewhat of a ganache!
I mixed in instant coffee granules because the coffee gives so much extra richness and dimension to the chocolate.
It’s not overpowering in flavor so that this tastes like a mocha dessert, but it definitely magnifies the richness of this mousse.
I stirred in chocolate pudding mix for more chocolate-y goodness, and then mixed in whipped topping so that it was light and fluffy!
It’s the perfect filling for cakes and cupcakes, and it’s delicious all on its own too!
Chocolate Mousse Cake Filling Recipe
- 1.5 2% Milk
- 4 Semisweet Baking Chocolate Coarsely chopped
- 1 Instant Coffee Granules
- 1 Chocolate Instant Pudding Mix
- 8 Whipped Topping Thawed, one container
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine milk and baking chocolate.
- Microwave on medium for 2 minutes, whisking until chocolate is melted, and the mixture is smooth.
- Add the instant coffee granules, and stir until dissolved.
- Add the instant pudding, and stir until dissolved.
- Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes, or until it is slightly cool, and has begun to thicken.
- Whisk in the whipped topping, and return to the refrigerator to chill completely.
- Spoon into the center of cupcakes, or use as a filling for a layer cake. Or, just eat it by itself as chocolate mousse!