I don’t know what it is about peanut butter and chocolate that I find so alluring. But I’m not the only one. A quick browse through the photos of Pinterest can tell me immediately that peanut butter and chocolate are meant to be married together for all time, living in a life of sweet seduction.
I’m not complaining by any stretch of the imagination. I will gladly roll peanut butter balls and dip them into silky bittersweet chocolate each and every holiday season. I will try not to cry when my relatives gobble them up as if each one didn’t take 60 seconds of my life to form and fashion into the sweet confection.
No. I think rather than cry as small bite-sized balls disappear from the cookie tray, I will celebrate with a pie. Pies are far less fussy when made with cookie crusts than small peanut butter balls. They slice nicely and fill the plate, and pies seem like good everyday food.
Pies are the kind of dessert you whip up because it’s your eldest child’s birthday, to celebrate the end of the school year or a stellar report card, to serve to the baseball team after a big tournament.
This particular chocolate and peanut butter pie combines a chocolate cookie crust, a thin layer of ganache, and the creamy peanut butter you are likely to expect in a peanut butter pie.
Keep it simple with a sprinkle of mini chocolate chips as garnish, or do it up elegantly with piped whipped cream and a chocolate sauce drizzle, if you prefer.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie Recipe
- 8 oz Chocolate Wafers crushed into fine crumbs
- 4 tbsp Butter melted
- 6 ounce Dark Chocolate chopped finely
- 0.33 cup Heavy Cream
- 4 oz Cream Cheese room temperature
- 4 tablespoon Unsalted Butter room temperature
- 1 cup Peanut Butter
- 1 unsifted cup Powdered Sugar
- 14 fl oz Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2 tablespoon Milk Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix together the wafer cookie crumbs and the butter until evenly coated.
- Press the crumbs into the bottom of a 9″ pie plate, pressing firmly to keep in place. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove and cool.
- In a double boiler, melt the dark chocolate. Once melted, remove from heat and immediately whisk in 1/3 cup heavy cream; continue whisking until thick. Pour the ganache over the bottom of the pie crust, gently spreading with an offset spatula to cover the entire bottom.
- In a large mixing bowl, whip together the cream cheese, remaining 4 tablespoons butter, and the peanut butter until smooth. Stir in the powdered sugar, followed by the sweetened condensed milk.
- Pour the peanut butter mixture into the pie plate.
- Refrigerate for 3 hours or until ready to eat. Top the pie with the chocolate chips as garnish. Serve cold.