When I learned that animal food production plays a significant role in climate change I was totally on board to swap out a couple of meat-based dinners each week with plant-based vegan dishes. I want to do my part to help heal the planet, but things like, say, biking to do errands aren’t realistic in my sprawling, sidewalk-free town. The idea of swapping out animal foods for plant foods a few times a week felt easy and completely workable for my lifestyle.
I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t feeling the pressure though: If I was going to go vegan, I’d be challenged to throw out basically every single one of the obvious ingredients for adding richness and flavor (goodbye to all of my old standbys: sour cream, butter, cheese of any variety, eggs, mayo, even yogurt). When I thought about it, animal foods are so prevalent in the popular Western diet, I had to wonder if it was even possible to transform vegan ingredients into comfort food.
The answer I’ve discovered as I’ve embarked on my latest kitchen challenge: yes it’s absolutely possible, no question about it.
This cilantro lime rice bowl with avocado is one of my new favorites.
It combines flavored rice, hearty black beans, sweet corn (use fresh-from-the-cob if you have it or frozen to save time), and a slightly spicy, fresh tomato salsa (use about half of a jalapeño for a mildly spicy salsa).
Cilantro Lime Rice Bowl Recipe
- Organic Garlic & Herb Rice Package
- 1 Black Beans Drained and thoroughly rinsed
- 0.66 Organic Frozen Sweet Corn
- 0.33 Green Onions Chopped, white and pale green parts
- 3 Fresh Cilantro Chopped
- 2 Tomato Diced
- 0.5 Jalapeño Seeded and finely diced
- 6 Sunflower Oil (Or substitute canola oil)
- 3 Limes Freshly squeezed
- 1.5 Organic Honey (or substitute agave)
- 0.5 Ground Cumin
- 0.5 Garlic Powder
- 1 Avocado
- 2 Tortilla Chips
- Prepare rice (either in microwave or on stovetop) according to package directions.
- Combine black beans and corn with a teaspoon of oil in a small skillet and cook over medium heat until heated through (or combine black beans and corn in a heat-safe bowl and warm in the microwave until heated through).
- Meanwhile, prepare the salsa. Set aside 1 tablespoon green onion and 1 tablespoon cilantro.
- Using all of the remaining green onion and cilantro, stir and combine with the diced tomato and jalapeño.
- Next, prepare the cilantro-lime dressing. In a small mixing bowl, add the oil, juice from two limes, honey, ground cumin, and garlic powder. Add 1 tablespoon green onion and 1 tablespoon cilantro. Season thoroughly with salt and whisk until well combined.
- Peel the avocado, remove the pit, and thinly slice it. Pour the juice of the last remaining lime all over the avocado to keep it from browning.
- Arrange equal portions of rice, black beans and corn, and salsa in six serving bowls. Add 3-4 thin slices of avocado to each bowl. Drizzle cilantro-lime dressing all over everything.
- Top off each bowl with a few crushed tortilla chips. Serve.