I had heard about RumChata a bunch of times and had seen it mentioned several times when researching cocktail recipes. It’s always intrigued me but I had never made the move to try it until just recently.
We went to a friend’s house for dinner the other night and after we ate he brought out a bottle of RumChata. Finally, I was going to get to try this stuff!
What is RumChata?
RumChata is a creamy liqueur that is a blend of Caribbean rum and cinnamon with real dairy cream. It creates sweet drinks – including this one which tastes like the beloved breakfast cereal.
Upon trying it at my friend’s house for the first time, initially we drank it straight up in shot glasses, which tasted way better than I had thought it would.
Then we started mixing up different RumChata recipes mixing both cocktails and shots. It was super fun [and tasty] playing with different RumChata drink recipes.
There are so many different RumChata drinks that it’s a bit like reading the “menu” that comes with those jelly beans.
One of the more infamous Rumchata drinks is the Cinnamon Toast Crunch shot. It is a tasty RumChata shot made simply by combining RumChata with Fireball Whiskey.
Turns out, it’s really quite tasty! But it wasn’t quite good enough for me. I wanted to create a truly delicious drink recipe.
There’s also the similar RumChata Cinnamon Toast Latte. It is made with black tea or coffee and makes a creamy cocktail that is a great after dinner drink.
I definitely wanted to kick up the vanilla flavors and tone down the cinnamon from the Fireball. Fireball cinnamon whiskey tastes a lot different to me than sugary cinnamon toast crunch cereal.
While I love a good Fireball drink, it’s a bit more like red hot candy spice, not warm and sugary spice like everyone’s favorite cereal. And I definitely wanted this to taste like the adult version of Cinnamon Toast Crunch.
To get more vanilla flavor I added vanilla vodka to the mix and rimmed the glass with cinnamon sugar. The flavors were perfect, strong enough to be a good drink, but warm enough flavors that everyone will like.
The resulting combination is a Cinnamon Toast Crunch cocktail that is creamy, packed with cinnamon flavor and, honestly, pretty irresistible.
The balance of flavors is really good even though it’s on the sweeter side of the cocktail spectrum.
Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cocktail Ingredients
- RumChata – RumChata is a delicious cream liqueur with flavors of rum, cream, vanilla, cinnamon and sugar.
- Vanilla vodka – Vanilla vodka adds a warm creaminess to the flavor of this cocktail
- Fireball Whiskey – Fireball Whiskey or homemade cinnamon whiskey is necessary for this RumChata drink
- Cinnamon sugar – Delicious cinnamon sugar adds a nostalgic cereal-inspired touch to this cocktail
- Cinnamon stick – Optionally, garnish your sweet cereal cocktail with a cinnamon stick.
- Whipped cream – If you want to make this creamy RumChata drink more of a dessert, consider topping it with whipped cream!
How to Make Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cocktails
Step 1. Pour water or simple syrup onto a plate, then gently dip your glass to wet the rim.
Step 2. Pour cinnamon sugar mix onto another plate or into a shallow bowl at least as wide as your glass. Dip or roll the rim of your glass through the cinnamon sugar until evenly coated.
Step 3. Fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Mix Fireball, RumChata and vodka by shaking until well combined and very cold.
Step 4. Add ice to your rimmed cocktail glass. Pour RumChata mixture over top. Sip and enjoy!
How to Make Cinnamon Toast Crunch Shots
Some people prefer to serve these yummy drinks as cinnamon toast crunch shots for a fun shooter that tastes like the milk left behind in the bowl of cereal.
While this recipe makes 1 cocktail loaded with sweet spices, you can easily split it between 4 or 5 shooter glasses to serve it as cinnamon toast crunch shots when friends are over for a fun evening.
RumChata Cocktail Recipe Variations
Here a few other ideas for how to make tasty RumChata cocktails.
- Mix RumChata and Kahlua to make a cinnamon bun cocktail
- Combine RumChata and Goldschalger to make cinnamon grahams
- Add RumChata to cherry bourbon makes a cherry pie cocktail
- There’s also Jennie’s caramel cinnamon martini made with RumChata
Serve these Cinnamon Toast Crunch cocktails for dessert along with a crunchy cookie for dipping and the meal is complete!
And don’t you just like saying the name?
Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cocktail Recipe
- 3 RumChata
- 1 Vanilla Vodka
- 0.5 Fireball Whiskey
- Cinnamon Sugar For rimming the glass
- Wet the rim of a low-ball glass and dip it in the cinnamon sugar.
- Shake all the ingredients in a cocktail shaker filled with ice and strain into glass.