In the realm of “creamy” soups, Sweet Potato Soup is my numero uno. Tomato Bisque can really pique the palate, but sweet potato soup packs an even meaner punch. Without the cream!
This coconut curry infused bowl is like going on an exotic trip…to a place where there is nothing but creamy, sweet potato harmony.
As far as I’m concerned, sweet potatoes and coconut milk were destined to be together. Coconut milk gives this soup a creamy richness which is filling, satisfying and smooth. You’d never guess this soup is nothing but great for you!
No matter the season, Sweet Potato Coconut Curry Soup makes a great side dish or entrée. It can be served piping hot or chilled like a gazpacho. Sweet potatoes are packed with Vitamin A, C, B6 and are much more healthful than the plain ol’ jane russet potato.
And don’t get me started on roasted chickpeas. If you have never roasted a chickpea, I highly recommend you do so. They get toasted and crispy on the outside, soft on the inside and are packed with flavor. The Curry Spiced Roasted Chickpeas add fun flair and texture to the soup.
Check out the recipe below and consider our tomato soup recipe for another example of a healthy soup!
Coconut Curry Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 large White Onion chopped
- 1 Large Sweet Potato
- 13 oz Coconut Milk
- 2 cup Almond Milk
- 2 tbsp Curry Powder
- Ground Cayenne Pepper
- 0.5 tsp Fresh Ginger
- 0.5 tsp Salt
- 1 can Chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 1.5 tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 0.5 tsp Fresh Ginger
- 0.5 tsp Curry Powder
- 0.25 tsp Salt
- Plain Greek Yogurt for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Poke the sweet potato several times with a fork and wrap it in foil
- Bake the sweet potato in the oven until very soft, about 50 to 60 minutes.
- Prepare the roasted chickpeas. Drain and rinse the canned chickpeas. Put them in a mixing bowl and toss them with the coconut oil, ground ginger and salt. Spread the chickpeas on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees (with the sweet potato) for 20 to 30 minutes until browned and crispy. Remove from oven and set aside.
- While you’re roasting the sweet potato, prepare the remainder of the recipe. In a large pot, sauté the onion in olive oil over medium heat until soft and browned, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- In a blender, add the coconut milk, almond milk, curry powder, ground ginger, cayenne, salt. Add the sautéed onion and roasted sweet potato and blend until completely smooth.
- Pour the soup into a pot and heat just until it reaches a gentle boil.
- Serve in bowls with plain Greek yogurt and roasted chickpeas on top!