In the neighborhood I used to take my daughter trick-or-treating in when she was younger, just about every house went all out.
There was this one house that had scary music playing and smoke filling the yard and if you were brave enough to walk up to the door and ring the bell, you were greeted by Mr. and Mrs. Frankenstein!
There was this other house that had a haunted house in their front yard – with children forgetting that there was a “treat” component to the night!
And then there was this other house that would have a maze to their door, and along the way, you would have to deal with creepy crawlies, hands coming out of the ground and people popping out of their graves!
But, my favorite house was the one that had a buffet laid out. On one side of their garage, these foodie-folks would have a table set out with every kind of candy imaginable for the kids.
On the other side of their garage, they had a table set up for the parents who were braving the night. And they went all out!
And then there was this other time when they had their table decked out with a smorgasbord of Halloween appetizers like asparagus and bacon mummies, mummies-in-a-blanket, meatball and chip bats, a skull cheeseball with witch fingers to dip into it with, and bloody deviled eggs.
And, it was their bloody deviled eggs that inspired these Deviled Egg Eyeballs. However, I did not use ketchup and food coloring like they did.
And, I also skipped on the mayo that goes into most deviled eggs. What I did use for the coloring were beets, which when mixed with spicy mustard and paprika, made for a deviled egg even my picky teen daughter approved of!
We’re having a Boo Bash here on Food Fanatic! If you’re planning a Halloween party this year, we’ve got plenty of recipes to make your little ghouls and goblins scream with delight.
How to Make Deviled Egg Eyeballs
To make these spooky deviled egg eyeballs you will need:
- Beet puree
- Spicy brown mustard
- Black pepper
- Black olives
- Hot sauce (or try making this spicy hot pepper sauce)
- Parsley and pepper flakes
More Spooky Halloween Recipes
If you’re looking for a few more spooky Halloween recipes, don’t skip this icky intestines bread recipe! It’s perfect for Halloween gatherings.
Deviled Egg Eyeballs Recipe
- 5 Egg
- 4 Beet Puree Divided
- 2 Spicy Brown Mustard
- 1 Paprika
- 0.25 Salt
- 0.5 Black Pepper
- Sliced Black Olives
- Hot Sauce like El Yucateco Black Label
- Parsley and Pepper Flakes For garnish
- Hard boil the eggs for 20 minutes.
- Once cooled and peeled, cut them in half and place the yolks in a bowl.
- To this bowl, add 2 tablespoons beet puree, spicy mustard, paprika, salt, and pepper and mix well
- Pipe beet-egg-mustard mix into egg whites.
- Top each filled egg with an olive slice.
- Place a small drop of hot sauce into the open part of the olive.
- With the other 2 tablespoons of beet puree, decorate to look like bloody-veins.
- Garnish with parsley and pepper flakes and enjoy!