I’m sharing my favourite cookie recipe with you today.
Yes, I do like the classics the best. You just can’t beat a good chocolate chip cookie in my humble opinion.
It’s one of those things that I just can’t say no to.
The beauty of this recipe for easy chocolate chip cookies is just that. They’re easy.
All the usual ingredients, it only takes a couple minutes to mix up the dough, and you don’t have to chill it before baking.
I rarely bother with chilling this dough and you usually can’t tell. Although I will say that if the kitchen is really warm, or I’ve let the butter get too soft, I will add a chilling step so that the cookies don’t spread way too much.
But typically, I don’t find it necessary with these easy chocolate chip cookies.
And that, my friends, is why I love this recipe. I likely won’t ever make another chocolate chip cookie recipe quite as often as I make this one.
Because who wants to wait for chocolate chip cookies?
Why do my chocolate chip cookies go flat when I bake them?
If your butter is too warm and soft when you bake your cookies they will spread too much in the oven. I typically bake these easy chocolate chip cookies without chilling the dough and they usually bake perfectly.
They spread out so that they’re not little chocolate chip cookie balls, but they aren’t paper-thin either.
That being said, if the kitchen is warm and the butter is very soft when I mix up the cookie dough, they will spread too much and be really flat. If that’s the case then I will chill the dough for 30-60 minutes before baking it.
Your butter should be soft enough that it indents fairly easily if you press the back or a spoon against the side of it, but not so soft that the spoon slides right through.
What is the best way to store chocolate chip cookies?
Let your chocolate chip cookies cool completely on a wire rack, and then store them in an airtight container at room temperature. I find they stay fresh for 4-5 days stored this way.
Can you freeze fresh baked cookies?
I freeze homemade cookies all the time. Just let them cool completely and then freeze them in a large ziplock bag or airtight container for up to 3 months.
Easy Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe
- 0.5 Unsalted Butter softened
- 0.25 Granulated Sugar
- 0.75 Brown Sugar lightly packed
- 1 Egg
- 1 Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1.5 All-Purpose Flour
- 0.25 Salt
- 0.5 Baking Powder
- 0.5 Baking Soda
- 1 Semisweet Chocolate Chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat and set aside.
- In a large bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, and vanilla together until smooth and fluffy.
- Add the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda to the butter mixture and mix until well combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Form the dough into golf ball sized balls (1.5-2 tablespoons) and place them about 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes, or just until the edges start to brown. Do not over-bake them or they will be crispy rather than chewy.
- They still look under-baked when you take them out of the oven, but will firm up as they cool.
- Let the cookies cool on the pan for about 5 minutes and them move to a wire rack to cool completely. Store them in a sealed container at room temperature for up to 5 days.