I am all about a quick and easy dinner, especially when it comes to weeknights.
Between school, work, and sports practice it can be challenging to get dinner on the table for the whole family each night.
But that is when I rely on quick and easy meals like Spicy Garlic Shrimp. It bakes on one pan and is done in under 15 minutes.
You can’t ask for much faster than that!
This sausage & rice skillet is great because it all comes together in one pan.
You brown the sausage and onions together, then add in the tomatoes and chicken broth and let is all cook together.
As soon as the rice is cooked, dinner is done! One pan, 20 minutes…. time to eat!
The trick to cooking rice is you need to leave the pan covered, unless you are stirring it. The lid locks in the steam and this is what helps to cook the rice.
If you don’t cover the rice, your liquid will evaporate, and you will have crunchy rice. No one wants crunchy rice!
What can I make with smoked sausage & rice?
Side dishes are my worst enemy, I am not good at coming up with side dishes. One trick I like to do is mix in broccoli with the skillet, so everything is all together in one pan!
Or I roast asparagus or other vegetables on the side or serve with a side salad.
How to Make Sausage & Rice
- You want to use a large skillet, so you can stir in all the liquid and let the rice have room to expand as it cooks. Pick a large skillet and heat over high heat.
- Add the oil to the pan and let it get hot. Once it is nice and hot add in the sliced sausage and onions.
- You want the sausage to get a golden and brown but you don’t want to burn the onions, so keep and eye on it and stir often.
- I like to add in the garlic just about a minute before adding anything else. This gives the garlic a chance to cook, but you won’t burn it.
- Stir in the rice, chicken broth, and seasonings and mix it all together.
- Once it is boiling, you put the lid on and reduce the heat to let it just simmer. Stir every few minutes to make sure the rice doesn’t stick to the bottom.
- Once the rice is cooked you are done and ready to eat!
If you are struggling with how to get dinner on the table on those busy weeknights, look no further.
You can get this just as fast as getting delivery or going through the drive through, and it is so much better!
The whole family will love this, and you are going to love how fast it comes together.
Plus, if there are any leftovers, they are great for lunch the next day.
Easy Sausage and Rice Skillet Recipe
- 2 Olive Oil
- 12 Smoked Sausage
- 1 Diced Onion
- 3 Garlic minced
- 1.5 Uncooked Long Grain White Rice
- 2.5 Chicken Broth
- 1 Ro-Tel
- 1 Paprika
- 0.25 Ground Cayenne Pepper
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add oil swirling to coat. Add sausage and diced onions to the pan. Cook for 5-7 minutes until the onions are soft and the sausage is starting to brown.
- Mix in garlic and let cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Mix in rice, chicken broth, tomatoes, paprika and cayenne pepper. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for about 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is fully cooked.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste before serving.