I’ve had an obsession with lemon flavoured things lately. Actually, every spring when lemons are suddenly available in enormous bags for way less money, I go through this phase where I’m making lemon everything.
No other ideas pop in my head – I just want all the lemon things, all of the time. Sweet, savoury – doesn’t matter, it should probably have lemon in it.
This glazed raspberry lemon bread is one of the best things to come out of my kitchen lately. I made it twice in two days and it didn’t take a whole lot longer to disappear. So I’ll probably be making it again soon!
It’s the perfect treat with my mid-morning coffee, or to send with the kids for their morning snack at school.
It’s even delicious without that tangy lemon glaze if you want to make it a bit more appropriate for breakfast – and less dessert like. If that’s your thing.
I, on the other hand, chose to cover this raspberry lemon bread with a sweet and tangy lemon glaze because it was delicious. And I have no regrets.
So I think I can probably call this health food since I made it instead of cookies. Right?
At least I can justify eating this for breakfast – and cookies don’t often qualify (unless they’re these healthy apple oatmeal breakfast cookies I suppose).
Now I just need to see how many other things I can put raspberry and lemon in together.
Because I clearly can’t get enough of that combination right now!
Glazed Raspberry Lemon Bread Recipe
- 1 Lemon Zest zest from 1 lemon
- 0.5 Granulated Sugar
- 2.5 All-Purpose Flour
- 2.5 Baking Powder
- 1 Salt
- 2 Egg
- 4 Unsalted Butter melted and cooled
- 0.25 Canola Oil
- 1 Milk
- 1.5 Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1.5 Fresh Raspberries or frozen, don’t thaw if frozen
- 1 Powdered Sugar
- 2 Lemon Juice juice from one lemon
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a 9×5 inch loaf pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, rub the lemon zest and sugar together with your fingers until the sugar is light yellow and fragrant. Whisk in the flour, baking powder and salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, melted butter and oil until well combined. Add the milk and vanilla and whisk until combined. Add this mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in the raspberries.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 60-70 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the bread comes out clean. Allow the bread to cool for 10-15 minutes in the pan, and then remove it to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth to make the glaze. Drizzle the glaze over top of the cooled bread. You may not need all of the glaze. The bread will keep well at room temperature in a sealed container for 3-5 days, or you can freeze it for up to 3 months.