Nothing says “I love you” like baking someone some cupcakes. It’s especially sweet when you’re making homemade gifts or a dessert on Valentine’s Day.
But let’s face it, there’s nothing romantic about sharing a couple dozen cupcakes with anyone. I mean really, let’s have a romantic meal by candle light, some wine and then let’s bring out the 24 cupcakes I made.
Ok, no. Gluttony is not the mood you’re trying to set.
But let’s not rule out cupcakes altogether. Let’s just scale them down and make them more romantic-meal acceptable.
So instead of serving your sweet loved one up a platter of chocolate cupcakes, you can serve up a small plate. That’s right; this recipe makes just four cupcakes!
I adapted this recipe from Christina of Dessert for Two – her version is not gluten free. She’s your go-to girl for small-scale recipes.
Not only is this scaled down recipe perfect for Valentine’s Day, it’s perfect for any time you’re feeling like a cupcake without having leftovers for daaays.
And if you don’t have a special someone to share your cupcakes with? Well, four cupcakes don’t seem that bad if you make them for yourself.
Happy Valentine’s Day to you, because you deserve something sweet too, single friend!
I really love these gluten free chocolate cupcakes for two… such a sweet little package of chocolate goodness.
Did I mention the frosting on these little chocolate cuties? It’s Nutella buttercream. NUTELLA BUTTERCREAM, PEOPLE.
I don’t know what I love more, the cupcakes or the frosting. I mean come ON, Nutella! So, so appropriate for Valentine’s Day.
I could eat this buttercream every day for breakfast, lunch or dinner and I would feel like it’s totally appropriate because Nutella is a dietary necessity.
And lucky for you, this recipe makes a liiiitle bit more buttercream than you need for the cupcakes so when your cupcakes are gone, you can have a couple spoonfuls of Nutella buttercream to get you by. Just hide it in the back of the fridge because there’s no way you’ll want to share.
So, whether you make these gluten free chocolate cupcakes for two or for just yourself, enjoy! Happy Valentine’s Day!
Gluten Free Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe
- 0.33 All-Purpose Gluten Free Flour
- 0.25 Xanthan Gum
- 4 Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 0.25 Baking Powder
- 0.25 Baking Soda
- 4 Vegetable Oil
- 0.25 Pure Vanilla Extract
- 0.25 Granulated Sugar
- 0.33 Buttermilk At room temperature
- 2 Strong Brewed Coffee
- 0.25 Butter Softened
- 0.5 Nutella
- 1.25 Powdered Sugar
- 2 Heavy Cream
- 0.5 Pure Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin tin with 4 paper liners or spray with non-stick spray.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together flour, xanthan gum, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Form a well in the middle of the dry ingredients by pushing the mixture to the sides of the bowl.
- In the middle of the well, whisk together the canola oil, vanilla extract, and buttermilk. Slowly stir in the dry ingredients until completely incorporated. Stir in coffee.
- Divide the batter equally between the 4 cups and bake 15-17 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Mine took 17 minutes. Cool cupcakes completely before frosting.
- Beat together the butter, Nutella and powdered sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment (or with a handheld mixer). Beat at medium speed for two minutes.
- Scrape down the bowl and add the vanilla extract and heavy cream. Beat on medium speed for an additional minute. Spread or pipe frosting onto the cooled cupcakes and garnish with sprinkles or decorating sugar if desired. Enjoy!