I know these coconut cookies aren’t the most exciting, but after the holidays, I just don’t want decadent. I want plain and simple and these fit the bill perfectly! If these aren’t exciting enough for you, check out these gluten-free chocolate peanut butter macaroons. Chocolate + peanut butter + coconut. It’s a pretty awesome combination.
These coconut cookies have shredded coconut, coconut oil, butter, extract, and flour. I guess this is kind of obvious, but with five different types of coconut ingredients, these are for coconut lovers only! And as a bonus, they’re super allergy friendly. These are perfect for anyone who eats grain-free, gluten-free, dairy-free or vegan.
The outsides are perfectly crisp and the centers are chewy. They do tend to get a little crumbly if you bake them too long so be careful to not let the cookies get too brown!
As I’ve already mentioned, this recipe uses coconut butter. It’s not such a common ingredient to have around, so if you don’t have any or can’t find any, don’t fret. You can simply leave it out. I’ve made these with and without it and the only difference is that they’re slightly crumbly without it.
And don’t get your coconut butter and coconut oil confused! Coconut butter is the ground meat of a coconut, whereas coconut oil is just the fat extracted from the meat. And to make things even more confusing, coconut butter also goes by creamed coconut and coconut cream. Before buying expensive coconut butter on Amazon, try your local Asian food shop. Mine has creamed coconut for only a few dollars and it’s as thick and creamy as the more expensive kind.
If these coconut cookies sound good but you just don’t feel like turning on the oven, try these grain-free coconut balls. They’re ready to go in less than 5 minutes! Or if you don’t happen to have coconut flour handy, these whole wheat coconut muffins are sure to please.
Gluten Free Coconut Cookies Recipe
- 0.25 Coconut Oil melted
- 0.33 Pure Maple Syrup
- 2 Coconut Butter
- 0.5 Coconut Extract
- 1 Almond Flour
- 0.33 Coconut Flour
- 0.5 Unsweetened Shredded Coconut plus 1/4 cup for rolling (rolling is optional)
- 0.5 Baking Soda
- 0.125 Salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, melt the coconut oil in the microwave. Stir in the maple syrup, coconut butter and coconut extract and mix until combined.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except for the additional shredded coconut, and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Roll the dough into eighteen 1″ balls. If the dough is too soft to roll into balls, refrigerate for about 30 minutes or until firm.
- Roll the balls in the shredded coconut, if desired, and place one inch apart on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the cookies brown lightly around the edges.
- Remove the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store the cookies in an airtight container and store at room temperature for up to one week.