When you begin the gluten free journey, you immediately realize that some of your favorite foods are no longer safe to eat. One of my favorites is Asian food. The majority of these foods use gluten in the soy sauce, not to mention the breading for the meats as well.
It was a sad day when I realized that I could not longer enjoy that delicious food from local take out restaurants. There is just something about take out from there, with the little white boxes and chopsticks, that makes my heart happy. Instead though, I have learned over the years that it is very simple to make many of these foods at home, and better for you too!
The main dish I love is fried rice, so at home I have learned to simply switch up the soy sauce to a gluten free version, then I can make that delicious fried rice at home. I’m fairly certain it is probably better for you that way too. This way you can actually control what goes into this wonderful meal.
I make fried rice frequently for our at home date nights, and I love to mix up the protein in it including chicken, steak, and pork. Although we have chicken fried rice frequently, we also enjoy pork fried rice.
We had extra pork on hand that needed to be used up, so I decided to mix up the fried rice recipe to add pork instead. It is amazing how that little change in meat can give this recipe a whole new flavor.
This is perfect paired with Mongolian beef, sweet and sour chicken, or teriyaki meatballs. I would just go all out and make a whole array of foods for your Asian-style dinner night. Adding an edamame salad as your starter is the way to go!
Gluten Free Fried Rice Recipe
- 1 White Rice uncooked
- 2 Vegetable Oil
- 16 Ground Sausage 1 pound – cooked and drained
- 0.25 Onion diced
- 1 Celery diced
- 2 Carrot diced
- 1 Egg beaten
- 2 Tamari Gluten Free Soy Sauce
- Begin by preparing the rice to cook and boil in accordance with the instructions on the box or bag. Once the rice is cooked, set aside to cool.
- Using a large skillet, add the oil to the skillet and let it heat on medium heat for a few seconds, and then add in the ground sausage.
- Stir the oil and sausage, mixing it then add in the onion, celery, and carrots. Let this simmer for 10 minutes or until the onions are slightly browned.
- Next, add in the cooled rice and 2 tablespoon of Soy Sauce, stirring it together. Let this cook an additional 10 minutes.
- Add in the beaten egg and stir, continue cooking for 5 minutes.
- Add additional soy sauce if desired and serve.