Have you started planting a garden this year? The season is here and I am beyond ecstatic. Of course, this is the first year in a long time that we will not be planting a garden; however, that does not mean I will not be basking in all the garden fresh produce.
We happen to have a wonderful fresh market nearby and also a farmers market. I absolutely love visiting both each week and loading up on fresh produce. There is something about that fresh produce that just makes my heart happy. It honestly makes me feel healthy just looking at it, although, I may be eating a handful of chocolate chips while looking at it. It counts, right?
One of my favorite meals to make during the peak of gardening season is stuffed peppers. In the past, our garden would always be stocked full of green bell peppers, so it was only natural to stuff those peppers and bake them up into a delicious meal.
Each year, I always tried different variations of stuffed peppers to keep them fun and exciting. This past week I tried gluten free Italian stuffed peppers. These peppers were made with Italian sausage, mushrooms, onions, garlic, and parsley, tossed with a little bit of olive oil. I even added in some Parmesan cheese. A few other additions that could be added are fresh tomatoes or sweet peppers too.
Once I had the meat mixture ready to go, I added in a cup of cooked rice, and then stuffed the peppers. I topped each pepper with a sprinkle of shredded Italian cheese; lastly I baked them in the oven. I love that the cheese comes out slightly browned and crispy. The peppers are tender and perfect for a wonderful light meal.
We even like to pair ours with fresh sweet corn.
Are you ready for gardening season? What do you plant this time of year?
Gluten Free Italian Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- 4 Green Bell Pepper
- 1 Mild Ground Italian Sausage
- 0.25 Diced White Onion
- 0.25 Sliced Mushrooms
- 0.25 Fresh Parsley
- 1 Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Crushed Garlic
- 0.125 Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1 Cooked Rice
- Italian Shredded Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Cut the tops off the peppers, clean them out and place them in a square or round dish until ready to stuff.
- Spray a large skillet with non-stick cooking spray, then place the Italian sausage in the skillet and brown.
- Once the sausage is nearly browned, add in the onion, mushrooms, parsley, and olive oil. Mix in the garlic and Parmesan cheese.
- Let this simmer for 5-10 minutes or until veggies are soft. Once the veggies are soft, mix in the cooked rice.
- Spoon the mixture into each pepper, topping with Italian Shredded Cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is slightly browned.