As soon as I found out that I would be eating gluten free for life, I had this overwhelming feeling of all the foods I would have to give up. Anyone who is gluten free knows that gluten seems to appear in foods you would not even think it would be in. I still remember going through the aisles of the grocery store reading every single label wondering how I would ever eat good food again.
Thankfully, a few years into this gluten free life, I have found that with a simple switch of flours I can enjoy just about anything I want and still get that same great taste. I typically use Better Batter for all my baking. I am more of a one go to flour person, I am not a big fan of having to mix and match several flours each time I bake.
This past week I found a recipe on All Recipes for Pretzel Bread Rolls. As soon as I saw it, my mouth was watering for one. I have not had a soft pretzel since going gluten free and certainly not a pretzel roll either. I read through the recipe and it seemed fairly easy to switch up the flour, the key though would be if it had the same great taste as the original.
I was a bit skeptical as these came out of the oven because they were not nearly as perfectly smooth as a traditional pretzel roll. At first I was disappointed because I thought this was the answer to my pretzel craving.
Then, I took a bite and all those flavors of soft pretzels and pretzel rolls came flooding back to me. I would say my taste buds were shouting for joy, but that may be a little weird, right? They were though!
My non-gluten free husband even had one too then he had another, and I realized I had to defend these because if not I would have none left.
I adapted the recipe a bit to make 4 rolls instead of 2 loaves. I cut the rolls in half then layered them with sandwich toppings like Dijon dressing, turkey, tomatoes, pickles, and cheese.
They were absolutely delicious and totally worth making. They may not look as smooth as traditional pretzel rolls, but they certainly taste just as good!
If you are gluten free and missing that delicious taste of soft pretzels, these are for you!
We’re thinking these pretzel bread rolls make the perfect gluten free lunch. Don’t forget these gluten free coconut cookies for dessert!
Gluten Free Pretzel Bread Recipe
- 1 Milk
- 2 Butter
- 2 Brown Sugar
- 1 Rapid Rise Yeast
- 2 Salt
- 3 All-Purpose Gluten Free Flour
- 3 Boiling Water
- 0.75 Baking Soda
- 2 Egg
- 1 Boiling Water
- Cold Cuts
- Begin by heating the milk and butter until the butter begins to melt.
- Combine the milk and butter mixture with the yeast and brown sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Add in the salt and 2 cups of flour, beating for 3 minutes.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface until smooth, typically about 8 minutes.
- Place it in a greased bowl and cover for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Warm up the boiling solution until it gets to a rolling boil.
- Punch the dough down and divide into 4 equal pieces.
- Roll these into balls to make the rolls.
- Place each roll in the solution for 2 minutes turning after 1 minute.
- Remove the rolls with a slotted spoon and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Continue this process for remaining rolls.
- Beat the eggs and mix with the water to create the egg solution.
- Cut a cross top in each roll.
- Brush the egg wash or drizzle it onto each roll.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce to 350°F for an additional 12 minutes, until evenly browned.
- Let cool, then slice and build sandwiches.