These gluten free sugar cookies are almost exactly the same as my gluten free frosted sugar cookies and my gluten free conversation heart cookies. The base recipe itself is actually identical, but the cooking method is what makes them different.
Instead of rolling them out and using cookie cutters to make the shapes, I just use a scoop (2 1/2 tablespoon) and drop them onto the cookie sheet and bake them like that.
I don’t even flatten them – I just bake them nice and rounded so they’re little domed clouds of sugar cookie heaven.
For frosting, I made a simple icing and just dipped the cookies right into it and then coated them with gluten free sprinkles. If you’d prefer frosting, you can frost them with the dairy free frosting that I shared with my original frosted sugar cookie recipe, or you could use your favorite frosting recipe.
These would also be great with my vegan chocolate frosting!
This gluten free drop sugar cookie kind of came about by accident. I originally intended on making these into waffle sugar cookies but the structure was just a little too delicate for the waffle maker. They cooked and crisped beautifully, just like I wanted but they were just a little too delicate to remove them from the waffle maker without breaking them.
Since I really didn’t feel like rolling them out (the extra step and work just was NOT appealing to me), I just scooped and baked like I would with chocolate chip cookies.
Best decision I could have made that day. These cookies were a huge hit with my husband. While he does enjoy sugar cookies, he’s doesn’t absolutely LOVE anything that doesn’t contain chocolate. When he couldn’t stop raving about these, I knew I had to share my lazy cookies with you, too. Enjoy!
Gluten Free Sugar Cookies Recipe
- 1 Palm Shortening Or vegetable shortening
- 1 Granulated Sugar
- 2 Egg Room temperature
- 1 Pure Vanilla Extract
- 3.5 All-Purpose Gluten Free Flour
- 1 Xanthan Gum
- 1 Fine Sea Salt
- 1 Baking Powder
- 1.5 Powdered Sugar
- 2 Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 Milk Dairy free or regular
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream together the shortening and granulated sugar in a bowl of a stand mix fitted with the paddle attachment.
- Mix until fluffy and smooth.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing after each addition and then mix in the vanilla extract.
- In a separate, medium bowl, sift together the gluten free flour, xanthan gum, salt, and baking powder.
- Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the sugar mixture and mix to combine.
- Add another 1/3 of the dry ingredients, mixing well. Repeat with the remaining flour.
- Use a scoop (2 1/2 tablespoon) to portion the dough and drop onto the prepared cookie sheets.
- Place 12 cookies per sheet, baking in batches as necessary.
- Bake the cookies for 12-14 minutes or until the bottoms are slightly browned and the middle is cooked through.
- Cool the cookies on the pan for 5 minutes then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- When the cookies are cool, add the powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk to a microwave safe bowl and mix until smooth.
- Heat the glaze in the microwave for 15 seconds and then stir well.
- Carefully dip the cooled cookies in the glaze and top with sprinkles. Place on a wire rack until the glaze is set.