This is a sponsored post on behalf of Van’s Foods International. The contributor was paid for recipe development. All opinions are her own.
Whenever we go out to eat for breakfast, my husband chooses French toast. In our house, weekend breakfasts are almost always breakfast tacos or pancakes, so he misses out on his favorite by majority rule. The rest of us do like French toast, but to me, French toast is special, reserved for occasions that call for fancied-up versions, like my overnight berry French toast.
I recently decided to surprise my husband and make our French toast even more special by adding a granola coating. You see, one of our old haunts, when we lived in Minneapolis, served up amazing crunchy-coated French toast, and until it closed we would always make a point to return whenever we visited.
Since we can’t go there anymore, making a similar dish at home was logical. Especially because I had some fantastic granola on hand, sent from Van’s Foods for recipe development.
You might know Van’s from their popular line of frozen waffles, but they actually make so much more, from chips to pasta and a suite of breakfast products, and I was thrilled to try out their new granolas. Soft and chewy, this granola is reminiscent of a really good oatmeal cookie, but filled with good-for-you ingredients like flax, almonds, and pumpkin seeds. I knew after one bite it would be a great addition to my breakfast recipes!
Now, because this granola is soft, in order to prepare it for French toast you’ll need to crunch it up a bit, which is easily done in a food processor with a little bit of flour mixed in. Making sure the pieces are small will help them adhere to the egg custard and not fall off in the cooking process.
The flavor of this granola crusted French toast is out of this world. Crunchy sweet granola gives way to a soft interior, making for one amazing bite. This is one French toast that doesn’t even need syrup!
Got a hankering for more French toast? Try Taylor’s chocolate strawberry brioche French toast or Sharon’s gluten free pumpkin French toast muffins. If you’d like to know more about my thoughts on this granola, read my review now!
Granola French Toast Recipe
- 2 Van’s Cranberry Almond Granola
- 1 All-Purpose Flour
- 0.66 Whole Milk
- 4 Egg
- 2 Pure Maple Syrup Plus more for serving
- 1 Pure Vanilla Extract
- 0.25 Salt
- 6 Challah Bread Cut 1 inch thick
- Cooking Spray (Canola oil)
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse together granola and flour until granola is broken into small pieces. Pour into a shallow bowl.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together milk, eggs, maple syrup, vanilla, and salt.
- Preheat a griddle or frying pan over medium. Spray with canola spray oil.
- Dip slices of bread into egg mixture, turning to coat. Let excess drip off bread, then place bread into granola, pressing to stick. Carefully move bread onto griddle (at this point you may need to re-stick some granola to the top side) and cook for about 4 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining slices of bread.
- Serve with maple syrup or powdered sugar.