When my husband and I were on vacation in San Francisco, we took a trip to the Giants baseball stadium. I don’t remember a thing about the game to be completely honest, but here’s what I do recall:
1) It’s a beautiful, classic-looking stadium with sweeping, gorgeous views of the harbor
2) They sell the best french fries at a place called Gilroy Garlic Fries. My husband and I agreed: they were addictive. Everyone else in the world seemed to agree too, based on the long lines at the booth and the fact that every other person at the stadium was carrying an order of the fries.
So naturally I’ve been making my own version of Gilroy Garlic Fries at home these days.
They’re crispy, crunchy, addictive and unique, with the genius addition of flavorful garlic and fresh herbs to balance out the richness of the fries.
They’re also really easy to prepare, with only 5 ingredients.
I prepare the fries by first cutting the potatoes in half lengthwise, then chopping them into quarter-inch thick sticks.
Then, while the potatoes are baking, I chop up some fresh parsley and chives.
And also sauté a bit of fresh garlic with some extra virgin olive oil.
Then I set everything aside so I can toss it all together with some salt and pepper when the potatoes are hot and fresh from the oven!
I know that most people equate French fries with the ultimate indulgence, but I’d like to challenge that belief. I say you can be healthy and well and slim and trim and enjoy some French fries too! In the case of these Herb and Garlic Fries, it’s all in the preparation: I oven roast the fries with heart-healthy extra virgin olive oil and leave the skins on the potatoes for extra nutrition. It’s hard to believe that a snack that’s this addictive is actually full of healthy stuff, but these fries are loaded with vitamin C (an antioxidant for a strong immune system) and potassium (for hydrated, supple skin), plus tons of filling, detoxifying fiber. (This is also a vegan dish that’s cholesterol free.)
I may not remember a thing about the actual game, but the San Francisco Giants are still often on my mind, for inspiring my new favorite snack!
Herb & Garlic fries are an inspired addition to any meal. Try them with David’s whiskey BBQ burger, or Shelly’s cheesy jalapeño popper crock pot pulled chicken.
Herb & Garlic Oven Fries Recipe
- 2 Idaho Potato
- 2 Extra Virgin Olive Oil Plus 1 and a half tablespoons
- 2 Flat-leaf Parsley
- 3 Chives
- 2 Garlic
- Salt and Pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Cut potatoes in half lengthwise, then cut halves into 1/4-inch thick sticks.
- Place cut potatoes on a parchment-lined baking sheet, drizzle on two tablespoons olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Using hands, mix potatoes until all “fries” are coated with oil.
- Spread “fries” out on pan and arrange so that they’re overlapping as little as possible.
- Roast in the oven until crisp and golden, about 30-34 minutes.
- Meanwhile, as potatoes are roasting, chop the parsley and chives and set aside. Mince the garlic, and heat 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Cook the garlic just until softened, about 3-4 minutes, then immediately pour oil and garlic into a small bowl and set aside.
- Immediately after removing potatoes from oven, place them in a large mixing bowl. Add the chopped parsley and chives along with the garlic oil. Season well with salt and pepper. Stir until well combined, and serve.