Dal dhokli is a popular one pot Gujarati Indian dish. It’s made by cooking homemade whole wheat noodles in a pot of simmering lentil stew.
It’s no doubt an Indian comfort food favorite with its sweet and spicy taste. It’s also very healthy with a good balance of protein and carbohydrates.
Now, even though dal dhokli is a one pot meal, making delicious homemade noodles is a bit time consuming.
Not to worry! I’ve finally turned this family favorite into even fewer steps by using the Instant Pot and ready-made whole wheat lasagna noodles.
I’ve been eating and making dal dhokli since as long as I can remember. Everyone loves it.
When I ask that question of “what do you want for dinner,” the answer is often Dal Dhokli.
Sometimes I’d go with it but other times it just didn’t seem like the fast answer I was looking for.
It never really felt like a true one pot meal because I still had to dirty a bowl to make the dough and take out my rolling pin, flour and mat.
I’d stand over the simmering pot and put my noodles in one by one as I rolled them out and cut them. It’s a bit more time than I like spending standing over the stove.
This recipe has been a game changer!
The Instant Pot and whole wheat lasagna noodles changed everything. No more extra time needed to roll out dough and no more extra dishes.
Now that whole wheat lasagna noodles are more readily available, it’s easy to substitute the homemade dough with broken lasagna noodles.
The noodles are plain and not spiced like the traditional dough but the recipe for the dal makes up for all the flavor.
They are also slightly thinner than dough that you would roll out but when it comes to convenience who really cares? Well, I guess there are always picky eaters out there, but luckily none in my house!
I know what else you are thinking. These are modern times though, so tell your mother-in-law it’s going to be okay if you cheat a little!
Instant Pot Dal Dhokli Recipe
- 1.5 Canola Oil
- 0.5 Cumin Seeds
- 0.5 Black Mustard Seed
- 8 Curry Leaves optional
- 1 Fresh Tomato diced
- 0.5 Turmeric
- 1 Fresh Ginger finely grated
- 1 Indian Chili Powder optional
- 2 Salt
- 2 Peanuts
- 0.5 Toor Dal split yellow pigeon peas
- 5 Water
- 6 Whole Wheat No Bake Lasagna Noodles broken in 1-2 inch sized pieces
- 2 Jaggery or sugar
- 1 Tamarind Paste
- 2 Chopped Cilantro
- Turn the Instant Pot on to sauté Mode and add the oil to the pot. Once the oil is hot, add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds and curry leaves. (Have a cover ready so it doesn’t splatter)
- After about 30 seconds add the tomatoes, turmeric, ginger, chili powder, salt and peanuts. Stir and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the dal, water and lasagna pieces.
- Close the pot with the pressure valve set to sealing. Set on Manual mode for 9 minutes.
- Allow the pot to naturally release for 15 minutes and then do a quick release.
- Open the pot and stir in the jaggery and tamarind. This will also help break up any of the dal too.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve hot.