Did you know you can make meatloaf in an Instant Pot? I’ve been cooking Instant Pot Meatballs for ages. I wondered if you could also cook a meatloaf in an Instant Pot.
Turns out, you can!
One of my favorite weeknight meals is Gluten Free Teriyaki Meatloaf, so I created an Instant Pot version.
I made a few changes from the original recipe, mainly that I removed the milk from the recipe and used soy sauce instead of a gluten free teriyaki sauce.
It can be tricky, or expensive, to hunt down gluten free teriyaki sauce, so I wanted to add the flavors using ingredients instead of a pre-made sauce.
Teriyaki sauce is made with soy sauce, sugar, ginger, and mirin or rice wine vinegar.
Most gluten-free kitchens have a gluten-free soy sauce on hand and ground ginger, making them a much more accessible way to season your Instant Pot gluten free teriyaki meatloaf.
If you need a soy free teriyaki sauce option, use coconut aminos. I more recently added coconut aminos to my pantry and that is what I used in this recipe.
I love the slightly sweet flavor it adds!
If you have a favorite store-bought gluten free teriyaki sauce, brush it on top of your meatloaf after cooking.
If you don’t, you can use my homemade teriyaki glaze recipe. It is quick and easy to make.
Why would you cook a meatloaf in your Instant Pot?
- I don’t know about you, but I’m still avoiding turning on my oven. It is just still so hot! (I live in New Mexico. We have a nice, long summer.) Almost everything has been going into my Instant Pot because it is the easiest way to make dinner without heating up my kitchen.
- An Instant Pot can quickly cook a meatloaf. Instead of cooking for 30-40 minutes, it takes only 20 minutes + a quick steam release in Instant Pot (plus the time to come up to pressure). Using an Instant Pot can help you get dinner on the table in a hurry.
- Cooking your meatloaf in an Instant Pot can help it to be juicy and tender. However, all of that steam will melt off any glaze you apply before cooking. To solve this, I glazed my gluten free meatloaf after cooking.
I’ve had great success cooking my Instant Pot Gluten Free Teriyaki Meatballs from frozen, which makes it an easy meal to prep ahead. I want to test cooking a frozen meatloaf in my Instant Pot. I’ll update you when I do!
I’ve cooked frozen chicken breasts and meatballs without having to adjust the time very much, and am crossing my fingers I can do the same with meatloaf.
Then I can prep several meatloaves the next time ground beef is on sale and can store them in the fridge for easy weeknight meals.
Is there anything you can’t cook in an Instant Pot? Maybe cookies. However I’ve used my Instant Pot for lots of desserts. One of my favorites is dairy free easy crème brulee!
How to cook meatloaf in your Instant Pot
- According to my research, the best way to cook your meatloaf in an Instant Pot is to place it in an aluminum foil sling and then place it on the metal trivet that came with your Instant Pot.
- Add a cup of water to the bottom of your Instant Pot and cook at High Pressure for 20 minutes.
- Do a quick release and remove the Meatloaf from your Instant Pot, draining off any liquid that collected in the aluminum foil.
- For maximum flavor, brush your Instant Pot with a little teriyaki sauce. You can even pop it under a broiler for a few minutes so that the sauce will caramelize.
- I used my toaster oven to caramelize the teriyaki sauce. It did a perfect job!
- To glaze your meatloaf, you can use a store-bought gluten free teriyaki sauce, or you can make a homemade gluten free teriyaki recipe. I’m sharing my quick and easy gluten free teriyaki sauce recipe below.
- If you are a fan of Gluten Free Teriyaki Meatloaf, you may also like my Gluten Free Teriyaki Grilled Pineapple Burgers. They are my gluten free version of Red Robin’s Bonzia Burger!
Instant Pot Gluten Free Teriyaki Meatloaf Recipe
- 1 Gluten Free Breadcrumbs (see note)
- 1 Onion Powder
- 0.5 Garlic Powder
- 1 Ground Ginger
- 2 Ground Beef
- 0.5 Tamari Gluten Free Soy Sauce or Coconut Aminos
- 2 Egg
- 4 Tamari Gluten Free Soy Sauce
- 1.5 Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1 Brown Sugar
- 0.25 Ground Ginger
- 0.25 Garlic Powder
- 0.5 Cornstarch
- In a large bowl mix the gluten free bread crumbs, onion powder, garlic powder, and ginger until combined.
- Add the ground beef, gluten free soy sauce and eggs. Gently mix until combined.
- Divide the mixture in half and form it into 2 loaves (each approximate the size of your hand) on a piece of aluminum foil shaped into a sling that will fit into your Instant Pot. To get both meatloaves to fit, you’ll have to shape them into slightly taller and skinnier loaves.
- Pour one cup of water in the bottom of your Instant Pot. Place the trivet in your Instant Pot and rest the aluminum foil sling and meatloaves on top of it. Seal and pressure cook on High pressure for 20 minutes. Do a quick release, and once the steam subsides unlock your Instant Pot.
- Drain off any water that collected in the aluminum foil and brush the meatloaf with gluten free teriyaki glaze. If desired, place the meatloaf (still on the foil) on a baking sheet and let the sauce caramelize under the broiler for 2-3 minutes.
- Whisk gluten free soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, brown sugar, ground ginger, garlic powder, and cornstarch together.
- Heat by whisking in a saucepan over medium heat or by heating in the microwave in 30 second intervals until slightly thickened.