Can I just say how excited I am that grilling season is here?? The kids are always pestering me to eat dinner outside regardless of what the weather is like outside.
I’ll cook out no matter what the weather does. You know why? Because it means my kitchen will stay clean! I’m giving a big fist pump for shiny stovetops and gleaming ovens!
I don’t stop there however. I like to give our cook out a “picnic feel”. We eat on paper plates, use plastic cups; sometimes we even use plastic forks. And if I’m really lucky, I will produce condiment packets of old take-out meals. If I’m going for a clean kitchen, I may as well keep dishes out of the sink.
The kids think it’s a blast. I mean really, the food tastes the same on a paper plate as it does on a glass plate. This leaves me on Easy Street with the exception of one major detail. I’m still doing all the cooking!
I hear all these stories of husbands who love to take charge of the grill during the warm weather months. I look at my own husband and think “there has to be something wrong with him”. Why doesn’t HE like to “man” the grill? Isn’t that what men do? That’s what all the Father’s Day marketing want you to believe. My husband will do the work if I ask him to, but he never takes the initiative.
I guess we all have our strong suits. I cook (or grill) and he eats. We do complement each other in that regard. I actually came up with these Jalapeño Turkey Burgers just for him. At our favorite burger joint, he always gets the one burger with lots of jalapeños and green chilies.
I changed mine up and made it a little leaner with the ground turkey. Since I love poblanos and jalapeños, I caramelized them to place on top of my turkey burger along with some spicy pepper jack cheese.
This is my favorite way to make turkey burgers. They stay moist and incredibly flavorful. The peppers add smokiness. I snuck a few extra toppings for my burger, because who is a food blogger if they’re not bumping up and blasting out a recipe? Being the griller has its privileges!
Need some sides to go with these fantastic Jalapeño Turkey Burgers? Try David’s grilled sweet potatoes recipe or Lisa’s strawberry spinach salad!
Jalapeño Turkey Burgers Recipe
- 2 Poblano Pepper sliced
- 2 Jalapeño sliced
- 2 Olive Oil
- 2 Granulated Sugar
- 2 Vinegar
- 1 Ground Turkey
- 0.25 Onion
- 0.5 Breadcrumbs
- 1 Egg
- 2 Liquid Smoke
- 2 Worcestershire Sauce
- 0.5 Salt
- 0.5 Black Pepper
- 0.5 Panko Breadcrumbs
- 0.25 Mayonnaise
- 2 Garlic minced
- 4 Pepper Jack Cheese
- 4 Hamburger Bun
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add peppers and reduce heat to low.
- Cook peppers until they soften and just begin to caramelize. Stir in sugar and vinegar.
- Cook an additional minute or two or just until liquid evaporates. Set aside
- Heat grill. In a bowl, combine turkey, onions, breadcrumbs, egg, liquid smoke and Worcestershire sauce. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Using your hands, combine turkey mixture until well blended. Shape into 4 patties.
- Dip each patty in the panko crumbs and grill burgers 4 minutes on each side or until a thermometer registers 165°F. Divide peppers among burgers, top with cheese and heat until cheese has melted.
- In a small bowl, combine mayo and garlic. Cover tops and bottoms of each bun with mayo.