This year, our CSA started in mid-April. It’s been a huge relief for me because getting to the grocery store while toting a 6-month old baby along with me can be a challenge. So, now that our veggies are pretty much taken care of, I can cut my grocery shopping back a bit.
Not familiar with a CSA? Basically, we pay for a share of the produce from a local, organic farm. Then, each week throughout the growing season, we receive a box of produce that was harvested that week.
If you’re looking for a way to feed your family fresh, local, and organic foods on a budget, I’d highly recommend looking into it. Mine works out to be about half the price of buying everything at the grocery store. And, of course, the quality is far, far better.
Because I don’t get to choose what is in our CSA share each week, I have to wait to see what we get each week to plan my meals accordingly. In the past (i.e. before I was a mommy), I’ve had a lot of time to whip up all sorts of creative gourmet meals with the contents of our CSA share.
This year, however, I’m finding the weekly meal planning challenge to be a bit more difficult. Not only do I have to find a creative way to use all of the fresh product, but I have to try to squeeze it into the small window of time I have to make dinner each night so that we can give the baby her bath an get her to bed before 8:00. Some evenings I feel like I’m on an episode of Chopped.
I do my best throughout the week, but it always seems that I’m left with a few odds and ends by the end of the week. I have a few different recipes that are great for handling odds and ends, and one of them is pizza.
And since I just so happened to share my no-knead pizza dough recipe with you a few weeks ago, I thought I’d share one of my latest pizza creations. What started out as leftovers — a few sweet potatoes, leeks, and some baby kale — turned into a meal that I will be putting on the menu over and over again!
Kale and Sweet Potato Pizza Recipe
- 1 No-Knead Pizza Dough
- 1 Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Unsalted Butter
- 2 Sweet Potato diced, small
- 1 Leek cut into thin strips
- 4 Kale
- Kosher Salt
- Black Pepper
- 4 Gouda Cheese shredded
- Preheat the oven to 475°F. Spread the pizza dough out onto a piece of parchment paper (or a lightly greased baking sheet) and let it rest while preparing the vegetables.
- Heat the olive oil and butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the sweet potatoes and cook for about 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until tender.
- Add the leeks to the pan and cook for an additional minute or two, until they are slightly soft.
- Add the kale, and continue to cook just until the kale has wilted. It should only take a minute.
- Season the vegetable mixture to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spread the vegetables over the pizza crust. Sprinkle with the shredded cheese.
- Bake the pizza directly on a pizza stone (or on the baking sheet) for 12 – 14 minutes, until the crust is golden and the cheese is bubbly.
- Serve immediately.