Mother’s Day reminds me of spring flowers and breakfast in bed. I remember my mother’s day years where my young children would butter some toast and bring me a yogurt. That also came with fresh-picked flowers in a vase and homemade cards. It was so sweet but not exactly a gourmet breakfast.
Things have progressed and now my children are teenagers that know how to cook most breakfast foods. So I am requesting lemon ricotta pancakes with blackberries for breakfast this year. Of course I still love the fresh picked flowers and homemade cards they continue to make me, but pancakes are where it’s at.
If desired, the batter can be made the night before and the pancakes can quickly be cooked in the morning. Add some maple syrup along with the berries and you have one scrumptious breakfast. The tangy lemon along with the creamy ricotta make these moist pancakes delightful. I tend to purchase the freshest looking berries at the market and this time it was blackberries. But they are easily interchangeable with raspberries, strawberries or blueberries.
Speaking of Mother’s Day, how about purchasing the perfect gift? I adapted this recipe from the new cookbook, Stack Happy. It is by one of our own Food Fanatic writers, Karly Campbell. It contains 70 different flapjack recipes for breakfast, dinner and dessert. It is a perfect book for one of the special moms in your life!
If you love pancakes as much as my family does, you will love this book. The recipes are fantastic and I love that there is a photo of every recipe in the book.
Now let’s plan the perfect Mother’s Day brunch. How about these pancakes with some chocolate zucchini muffins and a ham and asparagus quiche? Don’t forget to make a big pot of coffee and treat Mom to a mimosa if that is what she likes.
Happy Mother’s Day to all the moms out there! Enjoy!
Lemon Ricotta Pancakes Recipe
- 1 All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Granulated Sugar
- 1 Baking Powder
- 0.5 Baking Soda
- 0.25 Salt
- 1 Buttermilk
- 0.75 Ricotta Cheese
- 1 Butter Melted
- 1 Egg Beaten
- 1 Lemon Zested and juiced
- 1 Blackberries
- Pure Maple Syrup For serving
- Heat a large non-stick griddle or skillet over medium heat.
- In a medium size bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir to combine well.
- In a small bowl, mix buttermilk, ricotta cheese, melted butter, egg and lemon juice/ zest.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until combined but slightly lumpy.
- Coat griddle or skillet with nonstick cooking spray and pour 1/4 cup of batter on the griddle. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until pancakes are golden and cooked through. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve the pancakes warm topped with blackberries and syrup.