There are some things worth getting messy for. Puppy chow is a little messy. Powdered sugar everywhere while you make it and powdered sugar all over your hands while you eat it. I’m not a huge fan of messes. In fact, they drive me a little nuts. However, this powdered sugar mess is completely worth it. There are tons of variations of this snack such as pumpkin pie muddy buddies, but just like with my popcorn (butter and salt, please!), I prefer the classic version of this snack.
Chocolate. Peanut butter. Crunchy cereal. Lots of powdered sugar.
Okay, I went off the grid a teensy tiny bit if we’re being real. I saw CHOCOLATE Chex cereal at the store and couldn’t resist adding a little more chocolate goodness to this snack. Not at all necessary, but more chocolate is never, ever, ever a bad thing. Ever.
I made this puppy chow for my son’s 1st birthday party. I threw him a “Winter ONEderland” party and the puppy chow attended disguised as “little snowflakes.” They fit the part pretty well, don’t you think? I served them up in little snack cups to cut down on the mess a little bit, and they were a huge hit. How could they not be?
Do we need to review? CHOCOLATE. PEANUT BUTTER. POWDERED SUGAR.
I have a box of that Chocolate Chex calling my name right this very minute, actually. And the great part is, this puppy chow is incredibly easy to make. I melted my chocolate in a small saucepan, but you could easily do this in the microwave as well. Just make sure to melt your chocolate slowly so that you don’t overheat it. I typically melt in 30 second intervals. But for our friends who don’t have microwaves (some people don’t, right?) – it’s easy to do on the stovetop as well. So you melt that chocolate and peanut butter, toss the cereal in it and then throw the whole shebang in a bag full of powdered sugar. Shake-shake-shake and you have puppy chow.
You should probably go ahead and do that right now.
We know you love Muddy Buddies as much as Rachel and us, so don’t miss Karly’s Muddy Buddies Bars!
Muddy Buddies Recipe
- 8 Chocolate Chex Cereal (General Mills) 14.25 ounce box
- 0.5 Peanut Butter
- 0.25 Butter
- 1.5 Chocolate
- 2 Powdered Sugar
- Pour powdered sugar into a large re-sealable plastic bag and set aside. Pour cereal into the biggest bowl you have and set that aside as well.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt chocolate, peanut butter and butter until chocolate chips are melted and everything is combined.
- Remove from heat and pour over cereal. Toss together with a spoon or spatula until all cereal is coated. Let set for about 5 minutes to cool slightly.
- Pour chocolate coated cereal into the bag with powdered sugar, seal and toss until everything is coated.
- Spread onto a sheet pan to cool completely. Store in an airtight container.