There is nothing I love more than baking stuffed cookies. It’s something I am kind of known for making.
I’ve actually thought about creating a cookbook with nothing but stuffed cookies. I am sure I will start it one day soon.
Nutella-stuffed cookies are one of my favorites to make because they are one of the easier to put together. These Nutella-stuffed sugar cookies being probably the easiest of them all.
Seriously, my sister and I baked up a huge batch of these cookies together this weekend and got through them in just a few minutes.
The only thing that makes them a little tricky to bake is that the Nutella thaws quickly when you freeze it for stuffing.
My fix is to freeze them in small amounts on dessert plates topped with parchment paper so I can easily assemble the cookies in small batches to keep the Nutella from thawing too much.
The dough for the sugar cookies themselves doesn’t require any chilling either. You can roll and bake right away without any issues.
You can put them in the refrigerator though… and the freezer as well. They will just need a few extra minutes in the oven.
I prefer to keep my stuffing to just a teaspoon, but you can easily add as much as half a tablespoon in your cookies.
Just remember to be sure the frozen Nutella is completely covered by the cookie dough to prevent any of it seeping out of your cookies and creating a huge mess.
In my opinion, these cookies are best fresh out the oven, but they will stay fresh for up to a week in an airtight container.
Nutella Stuffed Sugar Cookies Recipe
- 0.5 Nutella
- 2.75 All-Purpose Flour (344g)
- 0.5 Baking Powder
- 1 Salt
- 1 Granulated Sugar plus extra for rolling
- 1 Unsalted Butter room temperature
- 1 Egg room temperature
- 1 Large Egg Yolk room temperature
- 1 Pure Vanilla Extract
- Dollop the Nutella in rounds that are about 1 teaspoon big on parchment lined baking pans. Freeze.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixer, beat the sugar and butter together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg, yolk, and vanilla until fully incorporated.
- Mix in the flour until just mixed.
- Get a tablespoon of dough and create an indentation. Stick in a frozen dollop of Nutella. Add another half tablespoon of dough.
- Roll the dough into a nice ball, then roll in sugar to coat. Place on a baking sheet.
- Repeat with all the dough and Nutella.
- Bake for 8 – 10 minutes, or until the cookies just start to get light touches of brown on the edges.
- Allow the cookies to sit on the baking sheets for a minute before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.