I can’t believe it is fall already. There is pumpkin everything, everywhere you turn. I know everyone is always saying how quickly time flies, but seriously it is going way too fast! My 11 year old is asking almost daily to add things to his Christmas list.
I am not ready for winter, so I am crossing my fingers that fall lasts a little longer this year. Or maybe time just slows down for a month or two. That isn’t asking for too much, is it?
You can use pasta or rice and then just about any protein and flavor combination that you like. So easy to mix it up every night of the week. And if you are only cooking in one pan, that means there isn’t that much to clean up. It is a winning situation all around!
One Pan Southwest Chicken and Rice is kind of a twist on the classic chicken and rice. You dice up the chicken into bite sized pieces, then cook the chicken and rice together in the same pan. Just add salsa, cheese, Southwest seasonings, some chilies and you have a super flavorful dinner.
You can then top your chicken and rice like you would any of your favorite Mexican dishes. Add sour cream, cilantro, black olives, fresh tomatoes, avocado…you name it, go for it! And the leftovers are so good for lunch the next day.
So get in the kitchen and make this one pan meal for dinner tonight, only takes 25 minutes and you have dinner for the whole family done!
One Pan Southwest Chicken and Rice Recipe
- 2 Olive Oil
- 1 Chicken Cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 Onion Finely chopped
- 3 Garlic Minced
- 4 Chopped Green Chiles
- 1 Corn
- 1 Long Grain White Rice Uncooked
- 2 Chili Powder
- 1 Ground Cumin
- 1 Salsa
- 2.25 Chicken Stock
- 1 Cheddar Cheese Shredded
- Sour Cream
- Black Olives
- Fresh Cilantro
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, swirl olive oil to coat.
- Add chicken and onions, cook for 4-6 minutes until chicken is browned and onions are soft.
- Stir in garlic and cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Mix in green chilies, corn, rice, chili powder and cumin.
- Stir in salsa and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes until the rice is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Top with cheddar cheese, cover and heat for 2-3 minutes until melted.