Guys, there are less than two weeks until Thanksgiving which means two things – 1. I’m ready to get my holiday cookie baking on and 2. I better get my Christmas shopping list in check.
Although I’ve definitely gone shopping on Black Friday, it’s so not my thing. I pretty much loathe crowds, long lines and waking up at ridiculous o’clock to get a $5 fuzzy blanket from Kohls. Because if I’m being honest, that’s pretty much all I’ve ever purchased – well, aside from a cheeseburger for breakfast at Bob Evans. Did you know you can totally do that?
I prefer to shop from my couch, in my pajamas. No pressure, lines, or crowds – although I might just miss that fuzzy blanket and gooey breakfast burger.
This year is our daughter’s first Christmas and we couldn’t be more excited. She absolutely loves to shred paper, (Santa’s bringing lots of board books) so we think she’ll be a natural at gift unwrapping.
Although I’m definitely not into shopping with the masses, I am into baking cookies and lots of them. And first up on my must-make cookie list are these glazed orange cranberry cookies made with loads of orange zest and fresh cranberries.
I am a big fan of the sweet and tart combination of orange and fresh cranberries. From cranberry orange scones to homemade cranberry sauce with Grand Marnier (yes, I totally went there), I’m craving this vibrant duo all winter long. And let me tell ya, these cookies are no exception.
They’re the perfect addition to your Thanksgiving spread and I’m 100% certain Santa will be filling your stocking with extra goodies if you leave him a plate of these on Christmas Eve.
Are you ready to get your holiday baking on? Be sure to check out these pumpkin white chocolate chip cookies and these pumpkin spice toffee cookies here on Food Fanatic from yours truly.
Orange Cranberry Cookies Recipe
- 2.5 All-Purpose Flour
- 0.5 Baking Soda
- 0.5 Salt
- 1 Unsalted Butter room temperature
- 1 Granulated Sugar
- 0.5 Light Brown Sugar packed
- Orange Zest from one large orange
- 1 Egg
- 1 Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 Orange Juice
- 1.5 Whole Cranberries chopped (Fresh)
- 3 Orange Juice
- 1.5 Confectioners Sugar
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream the butter on medium-high speed for 2-3 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine sugars and orange zest, mixing with your fingertips until incorporated. Add the sugar mixture to the butter and beat for an additional 2-3 minutes; the mixture will become light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg, vanilla and orange juice and mix until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients slowly, in increments, mixing well after each addition.
- Carefully fold in the fresh, chopped cranberries by hand.
- Cover and refrigerate dough for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a medium cookie scoop, (about 1 1/2 tablespoons) drop dough onto prepared cookie sheets at least two inches apart.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on the pan for about 3 minutes before removing them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the cookies have cooled, prepare the glaze. In a small bowl, whisk together the orange juice and confectioners’ sugar until smooth.
- Spread or drizzle the glaze over the tops of cooled cookies. Let stand until set.
- If you prefer a thicker glaze, add in a little more confectioners’ sugar until you reach the desired consistency.