I have fallen into the routine of making butternut squash soup every single night after the kids are in bed. And then the next day I have soup for breakfast and lunch and then I’m sad when dinner rolls around and there is no more soup left.
Is it possible to be addicted to butternut squash soup?
I literally panicked when I walked into the grocery store the other day to find that they were out of all squash but spaghetti squash. I can’t make a creamy soup with spaghetti squash.
I do several different versions of butternut squash soup (like this coconut curry one or this one with crab!) and most nights I’m just kind of throwing whatever I find in the fridge in. You can’t really go wrong when it comes to a soup like this.
Like this one? Butternut squash, sweet potato, carrots, and an apple. All that healthy and nutritious stuff in one soup!
Plus, some onion and garlic cooked in bacon grease and really what is better than onion and garlic in bacon grease?
After that, you just add in some chicken broth or veggie broth (totally vegan if you do it this way!) and let it simmer until the veggies are soft and then blend until creamy. Stir in some coconut milk and season with salt and pepper and that’s it.
This is a really simple soup and you could totally add in other spices or herbs but I like it this simple and then I top it with a ton of paleo-friendly sriracha. Because I love the sweetness of all the veggies and the apple with a good amount of heat.
Then, of course, the crispy bacon goes on top and I like adding some roasted and salted pumpkin seeds. Not necessary but I love the extra crunch and saltiness.
Paleo Butternut Squash and Bacon Soup Recipe
- 4 Paleo-Friendly Bacon diced
- 1 Onion diced
- 2 Garlic minced
- 6 Butternut Squash diced
- 2 Sweet Potato diced
- 1 Carrot diced
- 1 Apple peeled and diced
- 4 Vegetable Stock or chicken
- 1 Full Fat Coconut Milk canned
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Roasted Pumpkin Seeds for serving
- In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, cook bacon until crisp. Use a slotted spoon to remove bacon to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Remove all but 1 tablespoons of the bacon grease and lower heat to medium.
- Add onion and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and translucent.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add butternut squash, sweet potato, carrot, apple, and vegetable stock.
- Bring to a boil, cover and lower to a simmer. Simmer for about 15 minutes, or until all the veggies are fork tender.
- Use an immersion blender (or transfer to a regular blender) to blend until smooth.
- Stir in coconut milk and season with salt and pepper.
- Top with the bacon and some pumpkin seeds before serving.