Paleo breakfast foods are probably my favorite thing to make at home.
I love finding something in stores – like a fun flavored chicken sausage – that has questionable ingredients and trying to recreate it at home using clean, paleo-friendly ingredients.
Plus, isn’t it just fun to be able to tell people that you made your own homemade chicken breakfast sausage?!
To make Paleo Chicken Apple Breakfast Sausage, you just have to combine ground chicken with a peeled and diced Granny Smith apple.
You want to use a tart apple, nothing too sweet. Then poultry seasoning, crushed fennel seeds, salt, and black pepper get added and all mixed together until well combined.
Be careful not to overwork the meat or it will become tough.
Once combined, the mixture gets divided into 8 portions and shaped into sausage patties. Then they are cooked in a skillet until cooked through, about 5 minutes on each side.
Serve it with eggs, paleo waffles, or enjoy them on their own for a quick protein-packed snack.
Homemade chicken sausage really is as easy as taking ground chicken and mixing in a bunch of spices!
Simple, right? I have a Paleo Maple Blueberry Turkey Sausage recipe that is also delicious and easy!
I love meal prepping homemade breakfast sausage and then popping them in the freezer so that I have options when a busy week rolls around.
Just put the patties in an airtight, freezer-safe container. It will stay good up to 2 months in the freezer.
I will pull out a couple when I need them and let them defrost in the fridge. From there, either microwave them or put them in a skillet to get the outsides crispy again.
If you are going to use them the week you make them, they are good up to 7 days in the fridge.
Paleo Chicken Apple Breakfast Sausage Recipe
- 1 Ground Chicken
- 1 Granny Smith Apple peeled and diced
- 2 Poultry Seasoning
- 0.5 Fennel Seed crushed with a knife or in the food processor
- 0.5 Salt
- 0.25 Black Pepper
- 1 Avocado Oil (or cooking oil of choice)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine chicken, diced apple, poultry seasoning, fennel seeds salt, and black pepper and mix well.
- Divide mixture into 8 portions and shape into patties, about 3 inches wide.
- Heat avocado oil over medium heat in a large skillet.
- Working in batches, cook sausage patties until internal temperature reaches 165°F, about 5 minutes per side.
- Serve hot.