My favorite paleo recipes are the classic comfort foods that are easily converted to paleo.
They still feel close enough to the original that they still feel comforting and nostalgic in a way.
Like my Paleo Stuffed Pepper Soup! It’s one of my favorite comfort foods from childhood and it was easily made paleo without losing its comforting feel.
This Paleo Greek Lemon Chicken Soup (or Avgolemono) is like that for me.
Nothing is more comforting to me than chicken and rice soup and for this paleo version, you just use cauliflower rice instead of white rice.
Then you add chicken broth (you can use bone broth if you have it on hand) and the cauliflower rice, bring it all to a boil, and cook until the veggies are fork tender.
The cauliflower rice only takes about 5 minutes so check the carrots to make sure they are done.
Once the veggies are cooked, you can add cooked chicken. You can make your life really simple by using a rotisserie chicken, if you can find a paleo-friendly one.
That’s my favorite way to make this soup.
And now the best part! Fresh lemon juice gets whisked together and then you slowly add some of the broth to the mixture to temper it, so the eggs don’t scramble when you add it to the soup.
Once the egg mixture is hot, stir it into the broth and it turns the soup into a slightly thickened, silky, lemony soup.
You won’t believe how delicious these simple ingredients are together!
Paleo Greek Lemon Chicken Soup will stay good in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. It will separate a little, so I like to store it in individual serving so I can just dump it into a saucepan and stir it back together.
It will also thicken as the cauliflower continues to absorb some of the liquid, so you can add more chicken broth (or just water) to get back to the original consistency if you need to.
Paleo Greek Lemon Chicken Soup Recipe
- 1 Coconut Oil (or paleo-approved cooking oil of choice)
- 1 White Onion diced
- 1 Carrot peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 Garlic minced
- 4 Low Sodium Chicken Broth
- 1 Cauliflower Rice
- 2 Cooked Chicken diced or shredded
- 3 Fresh Lemon Juice
- 3 Egg
- 0.5 Kosher Salt
- 0.25 White Pepper
- Fresh Dill for serving
- Lemon Slices for serving
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large soup pot.
- Add onion and carrot and cook until the veggies begin to soften, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add chicken broth and cauliflower rice; bring to boil.
- Lower to a simmer and cook 5 minutes, or until all the veggies are tender. Stir in chicken.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together lemon juice and eggs.
- Slowly ladle in hot soup, whisking vigorously so the eggs don’t scramble.
- Once the egg mixture is warm, stir it into the soup
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon into bowls and top with fresh dill and lemon slices.