How do you feel about breakfast?
I’m really not a breakfast person and I’m definitely not a fan of the sweet breakfast stuff. I love paleo pancakes, paleo waffles, all that yummy sweet paleo stuff. But I love them later in the day. I need a savory breakfast or nothing at all.
The problem is, a lot of the typical savory options aren’t paleo. Paleo bacon has become easier to find but paleo breakfast sausage still isn’t showing up in my local grocery stores. Everything is so loaded with sweeteners, fillers, and all sorts of things that definitely aren’t paleo-approved.
These Paleo Maple Blueberry Turkey Breakfast Sausage has a bit of sweetness (and obviously uses maple as a sweetener but that’s paleo okay!) to them but they’re still savory enough that I consider them breakfast appropriate.
This sausage is so easy, make with such simple ingredients, and can very easily be made ahead for easy breakfasts all week.
It is just going to be lean ground turkey mixed with some typical sausage seasonings (garlic, thyme, crushed fennel seeds), maple syrup, and blueberries. You form that mixture into round sausage-size patties and then cook them in some coconut oil or ghee until they are cooked through.
The sausage is easy enough to make on a weekday morning or you can totally make them on a Sunday night and have them ready to go all week long. They reheat really well — I recommend doing it in a skillet so you get that little bit of crunch but you can totally do it in the microwave if you have to. They will still be delicious!
These are a staple in my house for breakfast for dinner nights. My 6 and 8 year olds are obsessed with this sausage and I love knowing exactly what goes into it. Plus, my 8 year old won’t touch a fresh blueberry on its own, so you know this is good!
Paleo Maple Blueberry Turkey Breakfast Sausage Recipe
- 1 Ground Turkey 93/7 fat content
- 2 Garlic minced
- 1 Dried Thyme
- 0.5 Fennel Seed crushed with a knife or in a food processor
- 0.125 Ground Cayenne Pepper optional
- 1 Salt
- 0.5 Black Pepper
- 2 Pure Maple Syrup
- 0.5 Fresh Blueberries
- 1 Coconut Oil or ghee, for frying
- In a mixing bowl, combine pork, garlic, thyme, crushed fennel seeds, cayenne pepper (if using), salt, black pepper, and syrup until thoroughly combined. Fold in blueberries gently. Divide into 8 even portions and flatten out into about 2 inch thick rounds.
- Heat the coconut oil or ghee over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Cook sausages on both sides until cooked through, about 4 minutes on each side.