Chicken is a favorite at our house. The whole family loves it, and even my picky son likes chicken cooked several different ways. It’s easy to cook, inexpensive and makes for great comfort food in the winter.
What’s not to love about crispy chicken? These chicken thighs and vegetables require minimal effort and while they are cooking in the oven, you can be helping your kids with their homework.
Let me confess that I can be a chicken hoarder. I have a large deep freezer, so this allows me to buy big family packs of chicken when it is on sale.
At any given time, you can find multiple packs of chicken quarters, chicken thighs and boneless, skinless chicken breasts in my freezer. When I am pressed for time, the thin-cut boneless breasts are very convenient, but my family really loves the more juicy dark meat, so thighs and legs are a big favorite.
This easy but elegant meal can be served with an arugula salad, but there are enough roasted vegetables that a nice crusty loaf of bread or some buttery rolls are all you need. Make sure you have something to soak up that delicious wine sauce with!
After enjoying this meal, my husband declared that the leftovers were better than the original dish. So this means that next time I will make a double batch.
They can be reheated in the microwave, but if you want crispier skin, the oven is the way to go. My family liked this meal so much that they do not mind having it twice in one week.
If you need a potluck dish, this is always a winner. I like to transfer the chicken and veggies to a disposable baking dish and cover it with foil. Then there are no worries about getting your pan back.
This is a nice complete meal to serve to your family. If you love chicken as much as we do, you’ll make it again and again!
Pan Roasted Chicken Thighs Recipe
- 6 Bone-In Skin-On Chicken Thigh
- 1 Salt
- 0.5 Black Pepper
- 2 Herbes de Provence
- 2 Olive Oil
- 4 Carrot Cleaned and cut into coins
- 6 Red Potato Cut into bite size pieces
- 10 Mushrooms Cleaned and sliced in half
- 8 Cipollini Onion Small, peeled
- 1 Garlic Crushed
- 1 Red Wine
- 2 Fresh Rosemary
- Salt and Pepper To taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Season the chicken thighs with salt, pepper and dried herbs.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan on medium heat. Add chicken thighs, skin side down and cook for about 10 minutes or until skin turns golden and starts to crisp. Remove chicken from pan and reserve on a plate.
- Add carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, onions and garlic to the pan. Mix well and add the red wine to the pan. Cook for a few minutes or until liquid starts to simmer.
- Place vegetables and juice in a deep large roasting pan. Place chicken skin side up on top of vegetables.
- Top each piece of chicken with part of a Rosemary sprig. Roast in the oven for about 40 minutes or until thermometer placed in chicken registers 165 degrees.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve the chicken with the vegetables and red wine sauce.