Lots of times people think just because I have a food blog, and cook for a living, that dinner is no problem at my house. They could not be more wrong. I struggle with coming up with dinner ideas just as much as the next person. I cook during the day, so when dinner time comes I don’t always want to cook more. Same as the next person, who worked all day and just wants to go home and relax at night.
These pancake breakfast sandwiches are from the new cookbook, Stack Happy, by Karly Campbell. The book is full of breakfast pancakes, healthy pancakes, savory (like BLT or loaded baked potato pancakes), and even dessert pancakes. My son is obsessed with this cookbook. Daily he is paging through it, asking me when I am going to make whatever recipe he wants in that minute. Needless to say, he was super excited when I said I was making the breakfast sandwiches for dinner!
For these breakfast sandwiches you make mini pancakes (that have the syrup cooked right in) that act as the “bread” for your sandwich. You can really fill them however you want. I used sausage patties, eggs and pepper jack cheese for ours.
You can do scrambled eggs (my choice) or an over-easy egg (my husband’s choice), whatever you like the best. Bacon, or even ham, would make a great substitute for the sausage. Just pick your favorite breakfast items and start building a sandwich!
And make sure you pick up Stack Happy as soon as you can. Karly’s beautiful book is a must-have addition to your cookbook library!
Pancake Breakfast Sandwiches Recipe
- 1 All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Granulated Sugar
- 1 Cinnamon
- 1 Baking Powder
- 0.5 Baking Soda
- 0.25 Salt
- 1 Buttermilk
- 9 Egg Divided
- 2 Pure Maple Syrup
- 2 Vegetable Oil
- 1 Pure Vanilla Extract
- 8 Sausage Patty
- 8 Cheese
- Heat large skillet or a griddle over medium heat.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a 2 cup measuring cup, mix together buttermilk, egg, maple syrup, vegetable oil, and vanilla. Pour into flour mixture, and mix until combined. There will still be some lumps.
- Pour about 1/4 cup of batter onto the hot griddle (you want the pancakes to be about the size of your sausage patties). Let cook until tiny bubbles form on top of the pancakes. Flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat and cook sausage patties. Once cooked, set aside covered with foil to keep them warm.
- Cook eggs in the same skillet. Spray the pan with non-stick spray. Crack 4 eggs into the pan. Cook until the whites are set. Gently flip the eggs, and cook until the yolk is as done as you like it. Repeat with the remaining eggs.
- To build your sandwiches place a sausage patty on one pancake. Top with a piece of cheese, an egg, and another pancake.
- Serve immediately.