I have a bit of a love affair with peaches. I don’t think there is anything better than a juicy peach in the summer.
You remember the movie James and the Giant Peach? Well, I was jealous of all those little bugs living inside the peach and singing as they ate. I dreamed of having fresh peach juice on tap all nice and frothy like theirs.
Most of my favorite desserts involve peaches. And the ones that don’t involve peaches is just because peaches don’t mix well with it.
One of my favorite things to make a big batch of peach muffins. I make them whenever we go peach picking in the summer and my sister and I will stand in the kitchen and devour about three each.
These muffins are amazing. They are cinnamony with large chunks of peaches. It’s like having a mini peach cobbler at any time only a little bit healthier for you. The tops have a nice crunchy cinnamon sugar coating that I usually love to pick off and eat first.
I believe that muffins shouldn’t simply be cupcakes without the frosting, so I prefer to keep mine more or less on the healthier side. For this, I reduced the oil and replaced some with applesauce. I also reduced the sugar.
The recipe calls for all-purpose flour, but I often find myself replacing half the flour with white whole wheat flour to make it just a tad healthier. You can also consider removing the cinnamon sugar on top, but come on; we all deserve a crunchy cinnamon sugary topping every so often!
One thing to keep in mind with these peach muffins is that the topping only stays crunchy the first day. Afterward, it gets softer, but is still incredibly delicious. I recommend consuming them within 24 hours, but they will last for up to three days.
Peach Cinnamon Muffins Recipe
- 3 All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Baking Soda
- 1 Salt
- 1 Applesauce
- 0.25 Vegetable Oil
- 3 Egg room temperature
- 1 Brown Sugar lightly packed
- 3 Chopped and Peeled Peaches plus 1 peach, sliced
- 1 Cinnamon Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line 2 muffin tins with 16 cupcake liners
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt together. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the applesauce, oil, eggs, and brown sugar until completely combined.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just combined, you want one or two streaks and a few lumps in the batter still.
- Fold in the peaches.
- Evenly divide the batter among the 16 cupcake liners and top with a peach slice. Sprinkle the top with cinnamon sugar.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
- Best when eaten with 24 hours, but will last for three days.