A peanut butter dessert strikes again. It’s been about .02 seconds, so I was due for it.
My Grandma is pretty hooked on peanut butter, and will eat a big spoonful when she just can’t be bothered to sit down to eat a whole meal. I can relate. I sometimes do the same thing. In a rush and need a quick bite? Spoonful of peanut butter, of course. Normal, right?
My mother is also a sucker for PB, but her spoonfuls of peanut butter are typically sprinkled with chocolate chips too. That is just her style! My mother and grandmother are definitely where I get it from though. It’s rather clear to me that this love of peanut butter is truly a genetic thing!
Aside from a trusty spoonful of the good stuff, another favorite snack is peanut butter on a Ritz cracker with a dollop of jam. When I was home visiting family recently, that snack was calling out to me. It was a childhood favorite (let’s be real, I love that snack as an adult too), and being in the presence of my mom and Grandma got me thinking about that snack… one that they used to slap together for me when I was a hungry little kid.
As I was enjoying my PB&J crackers, I realized something: they looked kinda like thumbprint cookies! The spot of jam piled in the center reminded me of thumbprints. Then it occurred to me that I had never seen Peanut Butter & Jelly Thumbprints before. In all my days, I had not encountered a Peanut Butter & Jelly Thumbprint cookie. That had to change, obviously.
I know that was a convoluted story, but I have no control over the creative process. That’s just how the idea came to me! But I was so excited about putting these cookies together.
And apparently I am on a never-ending pursuit to create and compile the world’s largest collection of peanut butter recipes. Okay, not really, but I’d like to accumulate as many as possible. I think this is a worthwhile venture, and it’s going quite well so far. Don’t you think?
These little guys are deliciously thick and chewy peanut butter cookies with a sizeable well in the middle to hold a generous dollop of jam. You can go with any or all of your favorite jams – raspberry, blackberry, or the ever-favorite strawberry. I made some with raspberry and some with strawberry, but I think a variety and mix of flavors would be super fun. You could even include grape jelly, a classic!
Whatever you fancy, if you’re a fan of peanut butter & jelly, and you like cookies, these will be right up your alley!
Peanut Butter & Jelly Thumbprint Cookies Recipe
- 1.25 All-Purpose Flour
- 0.5 Baking Powder
- 0.5 Baking Soda
- 1 Creamy Peanut Butter
- 0.5 Unsalted Butter Softened
- 0.33 Brown Sugar Packed
- 0.33 Granulated Sugar Plus more for rolling
- 1 Egg Room temperature
- 1 Pure Vanilla Extract
- 0.75 Raspberry Jam Or strawberry jam
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine peanut butter, butter, brown sugar, and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients, and beat until combined.
- Scoop tablespoonfuls of dough and form into balls.
- Roll each ball in sugar and transfer to lightly greased baking sheets, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, or until puffy.
- Remove from oven, and make an indentation in the middle with the end of a wooden spoon.
- Return to oven, and bake an additional 5-6 minutes more, or until the bottom edges are golden brown.
- Transfer to wire racks, and let cool completely.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, heat jam for 30-60 seconds, stirring until syrupy and loose.
- Spoon about 1 teaspoon into the center of each cookie. Enjoy!