These bars… they are such a triple threat. Maybe because they have three layers! That probably has something to do with it.
The first layer – the crust – is actually made from a peanut butter cookie mix. Thus, it’s technically a peanut butter cookie crust!
Isn’t that one of the greatest things you’ve ever heard? One of the first times it occurred to me that pies and bar cookies could be made with other cookies as a crust, my life was changed.
It started simple. It started with using crushed shortbread cookies as the crust for my favorite cheesecake of all-time, this double layer pumpkin cheesecake. Simple enough, and not that ground-breaking.
However, the wheels started turning as I considered every other kind of cookie that can be used for crust. Oreos, of course. But I’ve now made pies with oatmeal cookie crusts, and even chocolate chip cookie crusts. In these bars, we use a peanut butter cookie crust!
I usually make my family’s no bake peanut butter pie with shortbread cookies for crust too, but I remade it with peanut butter cookies and it is incredible! It was the natural choice for these bar cookies too.
Next up is a layer of mini marshmallows. They sort of serve as a gooey layer that holds together the peanut butter cookie crust on the bottom, and the top layer of peanut butter rice krispie treats.
You’ll just scatter the marshmallows across the peanut butter cookie crust after it bakes, and return them to the oven to get gooey and melty.
The last layer of these delectable bars involves mixing rice krispies cereal and salted peanuts with an amazing syrup of melted peanut butter chips, butter and corn syrup. It’s perfection.
If there was a way to cram more peanut butter flavor into these bars, you know I would’ve done it, but I did the best I could! These triple-layer bars are ooey, gooey, and highly peanut-buttery. What more could you want?
Peanut Butter Cookie Rice Krispie Bars Recipe
- 1 Peanut Butter Cookie Mix
- 3 Vegetable Oil
- 1 Water
- 1 Egg
- 3 Miniature Marshmallows
- 1 Peanut Butter Chips
- 0.66 Light Corn Syrup
- 0.25 Butter
- 2 Salted Peanuts
- 2 Rice Krispies
- In a large bowl, combine peanut butter cookie mix, vegetable oil, water, and egg.
- Press into the bottom of a lightly greased 9×13 pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 10-13 minutes, or until the edges are golden brown.
- Sprinkle the marshmallows evenly over the hot crust, and return to the oven for 1-2 minutes, or until marshmallows begin to puff.
- Remove from heat to a wire rack, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the peanut butter chips, corn syrup, and butter.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the chips are completely melted, and the mixture is smooth.
- Remove from heat, and fold in the peanuts and Rice Krispies cereal.
- Carefully spread over the marshmallow layer.
- Cool completely on the wire rack.
- Cut into bars, and enjoy!